Engine runs great but spits every few seconds

heaty1

Cadet
Hey thanks for any help you can give me. Ive got a 150hp Evenrude outboard that runs good. Sometimes it will cut off while in idle but will fire wright back up. My worry is that my engine while in idle or at slow speeds will make this spitting sound almost like a pressure valve releasing pressure every 3-5 seconds opprox. When I have the boat at full speed or near full speed I can not hear the noise. This noise (spitting)does not seem to hurt the performence of the boat although when I first start the boat the spitting will jerk or move the motor a little till it worms up than its not bad at all but the noise is still there. Thanks for any help!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine runs great but spits every few seconds

Sounds like one or more throttle butterflys are slightly open. There is a screw on the side of each carb that will release linkage so each butterfly is closed. You don't have to take the screw out, just release it and the butterfly will shut by itself. Also release the cam follower (roller) so it dosen't hold all 3 open at an idle. There is a mark on the cam where it should start to make contact with the follower (roller). This is all assuming it's a cross flow and it is "spitting" at idle. There are some other possible causes but that is most common. try that and let me know what happens. Good luck.

heaty1

Cadet

thanks for the tip Dhadly I am taking the boat out today so I will try that first. it has 3 carbs on it. I'll let you know.

heaty1

Cadet

you where close dhadly it is a gasket that go's between the carb and motor thats where where a friend of mine saw a small spark every few seconds while I was in the boat running the motor while he was looking at the engine in the carb area thanks alot looks like it will be so.. so.. to do