Engine Ratings for Zodiacs

sunaj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 10' zodiac, and the manufacturer rates it for 10 hp, I have a Johnson 20hp I am planning on putting on it, as a diver I often load the boat up with 2 divers and gear, this engine isn't much bigger or heavier than my old johnson 9.9 so I am wondering what the limiting factors are for using a larger hp engine

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Engine Ratings for Zodiacs

Insurance liability, legal liability as you are held partially responsible for any accident whether you had any real responsibility or not and statutory liability for exceeding the plate may earn you a citation for reckless operation in California.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Apart from it being a insurance issue, the motor will run fine on there, it will actually be perfect .....

mikeya4

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, ill be trialling my 15hp on a 9' (rated for 10hp) tomorrow, will let you know how mine goes but as far as I can tell its mainly the weight issue(tell me if im wrong) and my 15hp is not much heavier than my 6hp engine i got so i can't see any probs, not sure if 20hp is the next level up as I believe a few 15's and 10's have the same low down strain but create the power higher up the rpm's, good luck and let us know :)