Engine Mount Installation Tool

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
So I bought an engine mount installation tool.. I got it used after receiving the tool and looking up at the instructions for the tool it seems that I need spacers that come with the tool but when looking the tool up there is no mention of the spacers at all does anyone have any experience with this tool.. part number 806794A02 and instruction sheet below

Thanks Mark

Attachments

• 8M0162786Engine Mount Installation Tool.PDF
    744.3 KB · Views: 17

Scott06

Vice Admiral
So I bought an engine mount installation tool.. I got it used after receiving the tool and looking up at the instructions for the tool it seems that I need spacers that come with the tool but when looking the tool up there is no mention of the spacers at all does anyone have any experience with this tool.. part number 806794A02 and instruction sheet below

Thanks Mark
Its in step 5 - seems like if you are installing the newer merc made 6.2 and 4.5 engines you dont need the spacers. If you are installing a 8.2 (assume GM based) or legacy engine, which I suspect is any of the older GM based 4.3, 5.7, 454 gm based engines you need the spacer...

I have never used it -The only thing I'm thinking it will affect is the height if the front mount.

When I repowered 4.3=>5.0 I just set the engine with mounts on the stringer and used a 18" drill spade bit to drill the new holes after getting an initial alignment. As long as it aligns its not rocket surgery.

Page 4 of the guide you attached shows the spacers for 4.3 and 8.2/legacy (aka any Chevy V 8 engine...)
1686601297094.png

Bondo

Staff member
The engine itself is the best alignment you can get..
Ayuh,..... No kiddin',..... I've always just hung the motor, dropped in the rear bolts, slid in the alignment bar, 'n drilled the front holes,....
When necessary, wood shims to get the motor high enough to align,....

flashback

Captain
Ayuh,..... No kiddin',..... I've always just hung the motor, dropped in the rear bolts, slid in the alignment bar, 'n drilled the front holes,....
When necessary, wood shims to get the motor high enough to align,....
Yep that's how I did my previous 1979 scorpion.

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
Its in step 5 - seems like if you are installing the newer merc made 6.2 and 4.5 engines you dont need the spacers. If you are installing a 8.2 (assume GM based) or legacy engine, which I suspect is any of the older GM based 4.3, 5.7, 454 gm based engines you need the spacer...

I have never used it -The only thing I'm thinking it will affect is the height if the front mount.

When I repowered 4.3=>5.0 I just set the engine with mounts on the stringer and used a 18" drill spade bit to drill the new holes after getting an initial alignment. As long as it aligns its not rocket surgery.

Page 4 of the guide you attached shows the spacers for 4.3 and 8.2/legacy (aka any Chevy V 8 engine...)
View attachment 381291
Yup I seen page 4 where it talks about using the spacers.. but it doesn't list the spacers anywhere that has the tool available to sell so I was thinking the tool in the installation sheet may be a newer tool and and the was hoping the spacers where not required for the tool I have .

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
The engine itself is the best alignment you can get..
This will not be the alignment stage. I am replacing a 3.0 with a v6 so this will be for getting the engine beds right. It's alot easier for 1 person to manage a 20 pound tool then it is to move an engine host around with an engine on it in the dirt if you know what I mean ...

flashback

Captain
Yes I agree with you, the tool will rough it in. On my current boat,1995 SR 220 , the front mounts are a Z type bracket bolted to the stringers and the mounts are shlimmed with ss plates. No wood. They hang from the stringers on either side of the motor..in any case, if you can get a close alignment with your tool then your good.

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
Yes I agree with you, the tool will rough it in. On my current boat,1995 SR 220 , the front mounts are a Z type bracket bolted to the stringers and the mounts are shlimmed with ss plates. No wood. They hang from the stringers on either side of the motor..in any case, if you can get a close alignment with your tool then your good.
Yeah I wish I had access to the stringers on both sides but it's a finished deck and no way to access the back side of stringers unless I cut access holes in the deck and dig out some foam..

Bondo

Staff member
Yeah I wish I had access to the stringers on both sides but it's a finished deck and no way to access the back side of stringers unless I cut access holes in the deck and dig out some foam..
Ayuh,..... Cut hand holes in the stringer,..... They'll be hidden, no covers necessary,.....

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Yup I seen page 4 where it talks about using the spacers.. but it doesn't list the spacers anywhere that has the tool available to sell so I was thinking the tool in the installation sheet may be a newer tool and and the was hoping the spacers where not required for the tool I have .
Ok wasnt sure what your question was. Looks like you were sold part of the tool … looks like those spacers are 1/2” or so thick. Would think you could determine the thickness off mercs installation drawings. They are available on line https://samerwebapp01apncus01.azure...e-9186-4ce3dfaead13/43lefialpha_1996-2001.pdf

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
Ok do I reached out to the manufacturer of the tool they saidvthey don't sell the shims independently of the tool but they did tell me that the shims are .450. So almost an inch..

flashback

Captain
Ok do I reached out to the manufacturer of the tool they saidvthey don't sell the shims independently of the tool but they did tell me that the shims are .450. So almost an inch..
I would take that as almost a half inch. Or 45 caliber..