Engine hour meter and depth finder

eagleguy

Cadet
Hey guys. New Stingray owner here. Any advice on my particular model? Seems very well made and performed well on the lake. Did not come with an hour meter or depth finder. I was looking at the hour meter that mounts to the spark plug wire. Seems simple and great reviews, anyone do this??

eagleguy

Cadet
Hey guys.
I just bought a 2021 Stingray 172SC. Its missing an hour meter and depth finder. I like simple things so I was looking for some recommendations. I see there is a engine hour meter on Amazon that mounts on the motor using a wire wrapped around a spark plur wire. It has rave reviews and is less than $20. Is this any good or do I need a unit mounted in my dash. Also looking for a basic but good depth finder. Ideas and opinions appreciated.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Hey guys.
I just bought a 2021 Stingray 172SC. Its missing an hour meter and depth finder. I like simple things so I was looking for some recommendations. I see there is a engine hour meter on Amazon that mounts on the motor using a wire wrapped around a spark plur wire. It has rave reviews and is less than $20. Is this any good or do I need a unit mounted in my dash. Also looking for a basic but good depth finder. Ideas and opinions appreciated.
Pretty sure you download hours and rpm from the ECU.
Perform PM on an annual basis and the need for said meter goes away.

Do you want digital depth (gauge) or a chart plotter/fish finder?
Budget?

Bergquist

Recruit
Hello Eagleguy, I have a 182 SC and I installed a sparkplug wire hour meter a couple of years ago, it worked fine for about a year, then took a crap. They are cheap enough and easy to install so give it a try. I also invested in a Lowrance Elite 5 unit with navionics which gives me depth, water temp, speed and lake maps....best money I ever spent. I also purchased a rear view mirror that clamps onto the windscreen.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy your 172 SC

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
many low-end boat manufactures have gone away from hour meters because people were upset that their boat with only 50 hours in 5 years is no longer under warranty.

as dingbat stated, do the annual maintenance

regarding depth finder. iBoats has various 2" gauge versions in the mega mall side.

eagleguy

Cadet
many low-end boat manufactures have gone away from hour meters because people were upset that their boat with only 50 hours in 5 years is no longer under warranty.

as dingbat stated, do the annual maintenance

regarding depth finder. iBoats has various 2" gauge versions in the mega mall side.
I had no idea Stingray was a low end boat.