Engine dies going into reverse

amplay

Seaman
I have a 1998 Mercruiser Model 5.0L (2-BBL) 1998-95 GM 5.0L - 305ci - 8cyl; S/N OL045552. Went to go fishing today, and the engine died going into reverse. I raised the outdrive, staying tied to the dock, and was able to get into forward without dying, but it continued to die every time going into reverse. Any ideas?

alldodge

Staff member
Guess, Shift interrupter switch, is out of adjustment or needs replaced

Disconnect the switch, but note you will have to kill the motor to get it back into neutral

Scott06

Vice Admiral
In addition to the switch-Usually if the shift interrupt switch gets tripped going into gear it is a sign of a worn or sticky lower shift cable. If you remove the lower shift cable from shift plate you should be able to shift the drive with two fingers on the cable little effort...if it takes a lot of force something in cable shift swivel shaft or drive is hanging up.

You can test disconnecting but if it moves the switch going into gear something is wrong, should only move the switch coming out of gear in the water under load. Should never trip the switch

Bondo

Staff member
I have a 1998 Mercruiser Model 5.0L (2-BBL) 1998-95 GM 5.0L - 305ci - 8cyl; S/N OL045552. Went to go fishing today, and the engine died going into reverse. I raised the outdrive, staying tied to the dock, and was able to get into forward without dying, but it continued to die every time going into reverse. Any ideas?
Ayuh,...... Does it do that on the trailer,..??

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Be the cables needing replacement or adjusted. Or you have bad fuel, possibly water in it or carb needing done.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds like OD was out of water while motor was running? u may have damaged water pickup impeller? Was RPS correct range while OD down in water and shifting between gears?

flashback

Captain
If you got 24 years you made the guinness book. Have you serviced anything on the outdrive?

amplay

Seaman
I tried to investigate my shifter problem today. Engine still dies going into reverse. I disconnected the wires on the shifter sensor, and it did not die, but I had to pull the throttle way back to get reverse to engage. Forward works fine with a solid "thump" getting out of neutral. It is an adjustment, a worn cable, or a bad switch? or something else? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I tried to investigate my shifter problem today. Engine still dies going into reverse. I disconnected the wires on the shifter sensor, and it did not die, but I had to pull the throttle way back to get reverse to engage. Forward works fine with a solid "thump" getting out of neutral. It is an adjustment, a worn cable, or a bad switch? or something else? Thanks
As stated above. You need a new lower shift cable and you need to adjust it properly

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds to me like need to replace the lower shift cable

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If you got 24 years you made the guinness book. Have you serviced anything on the outdrive?
I’m excited…only 4 years to go. I’ll need to go easy on her until then. Think I’ve been pushing my luck with that and other few things…but no sign of wear just yet. Original gimble and UJ too. 700 odd hours and 20 years coming up !

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I’m excited…only 4 years to go. I’ll need to go easy on her until then. Think I’ve been pushing my luck with that and other few things…but no sign of wear just yet. Original gimble and UJ too. 700 odd hours and 20 years coming up !
I have the same- 2004 boat , 370 hours on original gimbal, Ujoints, and shift cable. Did bellows last spring before they started leaking cable is smooth as silk..

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I have the same- 2004 boat , 370 hours on original gimbal, Ujoints, and shift cable. Did bellows last spring before they started leaking cable is smooth as silk..
I should be doing the bellows soon too really. Played it lucky too long.