Elgin 1950's 5 hp carburetor parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetcraver

Recruit
My mechanic has unfrozen my mid fifties Elgin and it fires, but runs very rough. The carburetor needs to be cleaned and he is reluctant to disassemble it lest things fall apart and he has no replacements. Any suggestions welcome.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Elgin 1950's 5 hp carburetor parts?

What's the model number on that Elgin outboard. Some carburetor kits are available for some Elgin outboards, but without the model number, we won't be able to help you.<br /><br />Elgins were made by several different manufacturers, so the model number is absolutely necessary.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Mid-50's elgins were made by West Bend. Carbs of that era are very simple...you can disassemble carefully/slowly over white paper and clean them as you go along or give parts a good overnight soaking in solvent and reassemble later. Helps to have a manual. I know this website has a West Bend service manual, http://www.acmeoutboards.com, for 56-60 models I think...but there wasn't much difference in Elgins from the 40's until the early 60's. Running rough could also mean its time for a tune up, ie. clean/regap the points and plugs and clean all the connections under the flywheel. Or it could be a cruddy fuel system, ie. sediment in the tank or fuel line.

sweetcraver

Recruit

Originally posted by CATransplant:<br /> What's the model number on that Elgin outboard. Some carburetor kits are available for some Elgin outboards, but without the model number, we won't be able to help you.<br /><br />Elgins were made by several different manufacturers, so the model number is absolutely necessary.

sweetcraver

Recruit

Originally posted by CATransplant:<br /> What's the model number on that Elgin outboard. Some carburetor kits are available for some Elgin outboards, but without the model number, we won't be able to help you.<br /><br />Elgins were made by several different manufacturers, so the model number is absolutely necessary.
Sorry about the double posting. I'm a bit new at this. <br /><br />the model number is 571-58611

sweetcraver

Recruit

Originally posted by tim Mc:<br /> Mid-50's elgins were made by West Bend. Carbs of that era are very simple...you can disassemble carefully/slowly over white paper and clean them as you go along or give parts a good overnight soaking in solvent and reassemble later. Helps to have a manual. I know this website has a West Bend service manual, http://www.acmeoutboards.com, for 56-60 models I think...but there wasn't much difference in Elgins from the 40's until the early 60's. Running rough could also mean its time for a tune up, ie. clean/regap the points and plugs and clean all the connections under the flywheel. Or it could be a cruddy fuel system, ie. sediment in the tank or fuel line.

CATransplant

Admiral

OK, that's a 1947 5.5 hp. It is, indeed, made by West Bend.<br /><br />You'll have a bit of a struggle getting a carb kit for that, so, be careful when you disassemble the carb for cleaning, and preserve the gaskets in the carb carefully. If one is damaged, you can make a new one, using gasket material of a similar thickness. It's not as hard as it sounds, really.<br /><br />Needle and seat sets can usually be replaced, if necessary. It'll take some hunting to find duplicates, but you should be able to find what you need at a cooperative small engine shop. There were only so many of those parts around in those days, and most carb manufacturers used one of the standard needle and seat sets.<br /><br />Points can generally get by with being cleaned, and dressed, if necessary, with a point file, available at any auto parts house. I don't know who made the coils for the magnetor on that one, but it was probably WICO. Again, if they're needed, you can probably dig them up somewhere.<br /><br />Go to www.aomci.org. It's a site dedicated to antique outboards. Often, you can find parts sources there.<br /><br />Best of luck with your old twin!

Johnny Ringo !

Seaman Apprentice

Mid-50's elgins were made by West Bend. Carbs of that era are very simple...you can disassemble carefully/slowly over white paper and clean them as you go along or give parts a good overnight soaking in solvent and reassemble later. Helps to have a manual. I know this website has a West Bend service manual, http://www.acmeoutboards.com, for 56-60 models I think...but there wasn't much difference in Elgins from the 40's until the early 60's. Running rough could also mean its time for a tune up, ie. clean/regap the points and plugs and clean all the connections under the flywheel. Or it could be a cruddy fuel system, ie. sediment in the tank or fuel line.
The one 5 hp1952 has a Tillitson carb on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.