Elder builder

bigjohn531

Cadet
I may be a little to old for this, but could not pass up an 18 ft starcraft with an IO. I must be crazy, probably cant even climb in it. Am doing what I can from the outside. Just love these old alum. boats.

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
Rebuilding a boat is a love hate kind of thing, but once done all is good

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I'll be 71 soon and I gotta tellya, it ain't easy working on these old boats. The spirit is willing and whatnot... 🤪

bigjohn531

Cadet
I'll be 71 soon and I gotta tellya, it ain't easy working on these old boats. The spirit is willing and whatnot... 🤪
At 78 it ain't no picnic. Had a friend over today to.help with the motor and outlive. Put in some new plugs and used some new gas. It started right up and ran like a new motor. Strange thing...the motor is super clean. Shifted just fine, and all the gages work just fine. Just don't understand how a 1989 boat could still work that well.
Mod edit: please read rules

Last edited by a moderator:

bigjohn531

Cadet
At 78 it ain't no picnic. Had a friend over today to.help with the motor and outlive. Put in some new plugs and used some new gas. It started right up and ran like a new motor. Strange thing...the motor is super clean. Shifted just fine, and all the gages work just fine. Just don't understand how a 1989 boat could still work that well. Am fixing it up to sell if anyone is interested.
Forgot to mention...did compression check, was about 140 on all cylinders.

alldodge

Staff member
Sand and wire brush it, then thin coat of marine tek. Sand smooth and paint,