Easiest way to weigh a boat

Beagleville

Seaman
Most used boats are on unregistered trailers, so taking one to a set of scales is not plausible--that's if there are scales within a reasonable distance. Anyone have any ideas on some sort of portable scale for weighing a boat on a trailer?

jbcurt00

Staff member
My local recycling center lets you drive across scales for free as long as there's no line.
Weigh boat & trailer, drop boat at local boat ramp/marina or in yard on tires, weigh trailer, difference is boat.

Reload boat @ trailer

Risland

Recruit
Just recently did this . Search for CAT Scales. Usually at a truck stop on the interstate. Go to website. Real easy you can load their app and make the payment online if you want. Go to YouTube, search weigh boat on trailer. Like the other guy mentioned, you weigh tow vehicle and trailer, then drop the trailer and weigh tow vehicle) Really simple! Then go to a trailer repair place to get tongue weight so you can figure trailer (with boat) balance.

GTGeek88

Seaman Apprentice
Seeking clarification. Most used boats are on unregistered trailers? Do you mean most that have been sitting around unused for awhile that the owner wants to sell? Because tons of used boats are on registered trailers. And did you mean the boat only or boat and trailer (which is generally what's needed - along with tongue weight - when working out what can pull the boat)? Manufacturer sites can often tell you a weight range for the model and you can probably get good estimates on the trailer, too (if not from the manufacturer, then from a boat and/or trailer dealer).

Beagleville

Seaman
Sounds interesting. Can you be more specific?
Sure. I'm trying to determine if a boat is waterlogged, so I want to figure the weight of the boat alone. I can get the weight info for boat, motor, and trailer...I would like to try to figure out some way to weigh it without having to take it somewhere. Don't really feel like spending over a grand for portable scales. Thanks.

briangcc

Commander
Know a Trooper who does semi inspections? They have portable scales for when they make all semi's go through spot inspection to determine if they are within their allowed weights.

GTGeek88

Seaman Apprentice
Sure. I'm trying to determine if a boat is waterlogged, so I want to figure the weight of the boat alone. I can get the weight info for boat, motor, and trailer...I would like to try to figure out some way to weigh it without having to take it somewhere. Don't really feel like spending over a grand for portable scales. Thanks.
Ah, interesting. Did not think about the waterlogged possibility. Not sure of an answer without taking it somewhere, though briangcc might be on to something. Also, related to what he said, when I had to register an older trailer, I could not read the VIN. Too faded. They sent a cop out to try to read it and to basically issue another one (as I remember it) if he couldn't make out the original. Maybe there is some sort of temp tag they can issue for transfers, trips to a scale, or to a mechanic. Don't know. Just might be worth a call, though.

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Unload the boat. Plenty of info here and on the u tubes on how to. weigh the trailer the reload and weigh. Subtract trailer weight and compare to oem spec.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Mark water level on side wall of swimming pool.
Place boat in pool.
Mark new water level.
Remove boat from pool.
Measure difference in water levels.
Measure and calculate surface area of water in pool.
Calculate amount of water.....

Oh wait, you asked for the easiest way. My Bad.

Scales are available at moving companies, scrap yards, feed mills, and truck stops.

If rig is under 2500#, you can get tongue weight with a common bathroom scale.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the boat is neglected and sitting on an unregistered trailer. assume its waterlogged and move on to the next boat in your search.

airshot

Rear Admiral
No way is really easy, just a pain in the a$$... Takevyour boat to the public launch then have a friend drive to your local scale for a weight. In the mean time test drive your boat to get familiar. When your friend gets back, liad upvthe boat and go back to the scale. Subtract the smaller weight from the larger and you have the boat weight. Now, if you live in a state where your trailer weight is needed, then have your friend unhook the trailer while at the scale, get the trailer weight then hook it back up and come get you at the launch ramp!! Now you will have all the weights you need....boat, trailer, boat with trailer to figure the tongue weight !!!

GTGeek88

Seaman Apprentice
No way is really easy, just a pain in the a$$... Takevyour boat to the public launch then have a friend drive to your local scale for a weight. In the mean time test drive your boat to get familiar. When your friend gets back, liad upvthe boat and go back to the scale. Subtract the smaller weight from the larger and you have the boat weight. Now, if you live in a state where your trailer weight is needed, then have your friend unhook the trailer while at the scale, get the trailer weight then hook it back up and come get you at the launch ramp!! Now you will have all the weights you need....boat, trailer, boat with trailer to figure the tongue weight !!!
But he's trying to avoid towing because he says the trailer is not registered. Everybody's ignoring that part.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
But he's trying to avoid towing because he says the trailer is not registered. Everybody's ignoring that part.
no, its been addressed. if the trailer is non-registered, that is a red flag.

GTGeek88

Seaman Apprentice
no, its been addressed. if the trailer is non-registered, that is a red flag.
Well, yes, but assuming HE thinks it's worth pursuing, then he still needs it addressed. I mean, sight unseen, you're just telling him not to buy it. Not that your suggestion isn't something to consider, but some folks hang on to a boat for a few years before they admit they aren't using it and decide to sell. Meanwhile, the registration expires. So that's not such an issue, I'd say. The most pertinent part of your post was "neglected." That's a much bigger issue.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I wasn't concerned. I see lots of Trailers without plates. Mine fell off and I towed for a few weeks without it. Made for fewer Photo Radar Tickets

Get a Plate from a friend, or go and resister it as a Homemade Trailer, stamp the Serial with your Name and a #

Beagleville

Seaman
I wanted to be able to weigh a boat/trailer combo on site for purposes of determining "waterloggedness." I suspected there was no easy way to do it, but I thought I'd throw the question out there just in case I was missing something (this often happens). Showing up in somebody's yard and asking to tow their boat 50 miles to weigh it usually is going to be met with some degree of resistance. I'd like to streamline the process which I suspect can't be done. Thanks for your responses.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I wanted to be able to weigh a boat/trailer combo on site for purposes of determining "waterloggedness." I suspected there was no easy way to do it, but I thought I'd throw the question out there just in case I was missing something (this often happens). Showing up in somebody's yard and asking to tow their boat 50 miles to weigh it usually is going to be met with some degree of resistance. I'd like to streamline the process which I suspect can't be done. Thanks for your responses.
I wouldn't buy a boat without a seatrial. And if required, a trip across the scale. If the seller has an issue, with either, they are hiding something

Last edited by a moderator: