Early EZ Shift outdrive questions

63fiberform

Cadet
Hi all,
I've been checking around with Marine parts places and I'm really not seeing anything under $850. I called the NLA marine that @Campfire mentioned and they have a few for about that price, maybe a little over (although I see why you like them, they are great to interact with).

I guess I'm just confused about whether or not $850 shipped is a bad price, because it seems 100% in line with what is out there.... I haven't seen anything cheaper for the whole gimbal housing/ring/bell/drive unit shipped.

Are there any other good reputable parts sources that I'm just missing? Happy to do the legwork, just not entirely familiar with all of the options! :/

Thanks!
curious how this all worked out? I am in a very similar position my outdrive looks almost identical except having a second set of passive hydraulics and a reverse hook toggle any idea what this is? near the mercruiser tag it says A 1926439 and stamped into lower is " E Z" figured I could ask here because there seems to be some knowledgeable replies to this model. appreciate any info. I did scrape off remaining decals and found nothing underneath

Attachments

• outboard sterndrive.jpg
    outboard sterndrive.jpg
    687.1 KB · Views: 12

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,..... It appears you've got an ole EZ Shift, an early drive, long before the MC-1 / Alpha drives,....

If you plan to run it,...... Good Luck,.....
If the hull is a sweety, I'd up-date it to current issue power, 'n an Alpha 1, Gen.II drive, salvaged outa a rotten hull,....

63fiberform

Cadet
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,..... It appears you've got an ole EZ Shift, an early drive, long before the MC-1 / Alpha drives,....

If you plan to run it,...... Good Luck,.....
If the hull is a sweety, I'd up-date it to current issue power, 'n an Alpha 1, Gen.II drive, salvaged outa a rotten hull,....
The engine appears to be a newer 1972 gm 120, it does have 2 serial numbers tho one located on the valve cover #3588323 the other on the block tag #3632158 would it be feasible to get a newer gimble and outdrive? any info is appreciated I am just glad someone knew what that was I've been searching forever

63fiberform

Cadet
The engine appears to be a newer 1972 gm 120, it does have 2 serial numbers tho one located on the valve cover #3588323 the other on the block tag #3632158 would it be feasible to get a newer gimble and outdrive? any info is appreciated I am just glad someone knew what that was I've been searching forever
with the newer ish power plant could I just get a new gimbal housing and newer outdrive? I really appreciate any info

Scott06

Vice Admiral
curious how this all worked out? I am in a very similar position my outdrive looks almost identical except having a second set of passive hydraulics and a reverse hook toggle any idea what this is? near the mercruiser tag it says A 1926439 and stamped into lower is " E Z" figured I could ask here because there seems to be some knowledgeable replies to this model. appreciate any info. I did scrape off remaining decals and found nothing underneath
Had one of those EZ shifts on my grandfathers 19 ft Penn Yan (1966 i belive ) years ago. had a 150 hp 6 cylinder, which was great, the outdrive and tilt system not so much. Merc only made the ez for 3 years (64-66) before switching to the mc1 .
looks like you have a mix and match of parts. I think the toggle switch locked the drive up. The shocks i think would hold the drive down if hit something but not 100 % sure. Your tilt cylinders will onky have one hydraulic hose going to them. That system never really worked right even when new. Merc switched to the newer tilt and trim system with two lines never looked back…

as bondo stated your fighting an uphill battle with parts obsolescence and lack of people knowledgable on these drives. We had a hard time getting parts for the EZ when we had to rebuild the outdrive in the early 90 s so now forget it.
its a nice looking drive paint it and hang it on the wall in the garage. Get a newer alpha gen 2 engine , transom, and outdrive if you like the hull. Would be a relatively easy swap if u are handy and can find a donor boat

63fiberform

Cadet
Had one of those EZ shifts on my grandfathers 19 ft Penn Yan (1966 i belive ) years ago. had a 150 hp 6 cylinder, which was great, the outdrive and tilt system not so much. Merc only made the ez for 3 years (64-66) before switching to the mc1 .
looks like you have a mix and match of parts. I think the toggle switch locked the drive up. The shocks i think would hold the drive down if hit something but not 100 % sure. Your tilt cylinders will onky have one hydraulic hose going to them. That system never really worked right even when new. Merc switched to the newer tilt and trim system with two lines never looked back…

as bondo stated your fighting an uphill battle with parts obsolescence and lack of people knowledgable on these drives. We had a hard time getting parts for the EZ when we had to rebuild the outdrive in the early 90 s so now forget it.
its a nice looking drive paint it and hang it on the wall in the garage. Get a newer alpha gen 2 engine , transom, and outdrive if you like the hull. Would be a relatively easy swap if u are handy and can find a donor boat

I think replacing with newer engine and setup would probably be the easiest route, but having a great running 1972 120 mercruiser motor makes me want to attempt finding a way to convert it to a newer outdrive. is there a way to see what possible transom plate / gimbal and outdrive would bolt up?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I think replacing with newer engine and setup would probably be the easiest route, but having a great running 1972 120 mercruiser motor makes me want to attempt finding a way to convert it to a newer outdrive. is there a way to see what possible transom plate / gimbal and outdrive would bolt up?
Yes there is a way depends on how much time you want to spend looking for bits and pieces.
By far the easiest way is to find a clapped out boat with a roached interior and soft floor, pull the drive train and junk the hull…

if you want to piece it together, to mate to a newer gimbal and drive i think you will need a post 1982 flywheel cover, coupler, and possibly flywheel.

merc change the inner transom plate and motor mount spacing when they switched from the mc1 to the R/MR/Alpha one . Probably Bondo or Kenny Nunnez will know.

kenny nunez

Captain
Wherever you are hopefully there will be a marine salvage yard. There is one here in the New Orleans area. They take a chainsaw and cut out the area around the gimbal housing after pulling the engine. As stated maybe you can find a rotted Bayliner with a good drive platform.

63fiberform

Cadet
Yes there is a way depends on how much time you want to spend looking for bits and pieces.
By far the easiest way is to find a clapped out boat with a roached interior and soft floor, pull the drive train and junk the hull…

if you want to piece it together, to mate to a newer gimbal and drive i think you will need a post 1982 flywheel cover, coupler, and possibly flywheel.

merc change the inner transom plate and motor mount spacing when they switched from the mc1 to the R/MR/Alpha one . Probably Bondo or Kenny Nunnez will know.
with a post 1982 flywheel/cover I should be able to attach alpha one gen1 setup?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
with a post 1982 flywheel/cover I should be able to attach alpha one gen1 setup?
Yes but i cant tell you what else you will need. Areas of concern would be coupler as i think the early inline engines used a shorter driveshaft nit sure if coupler is different on later gen one and up.
also might have an issue with exhaust down tube not sure if older one will fit newer transom.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Yes but i cant tell you what else you will need. Areas of concern would be coupler as i think the early inline engines used a shorter driveshaft nit sure if coupler is different on later gen one and up.
also might have an issue with exhaust down tube not sure if older one will fit newer transom.
I think real old drives had a different number of splines in addition to a different length drive shaft. Shouldn't be an issue if swapping the shafts though. I did think that the cutouts were different sizes for some reason. And also, was OP hoping to keep inner transom plate or swap the whole drive train?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... As I said above,.... If you wish to keep the hull, find a rotten boat with the driveline you want, then transplant that complete driveline, pulleys to prop into yer hull,......

Then sell off that driveline, 'n anything left over to pay down yer investment,....
Tryin' to piece it together, will cost 10x more,.....

matt167

Captain
Agree. I have a busted gimbal housing on my Offshore 18. I bought a running 1986 3.0L mercruiser , parts boat for $700. Only a couple hundred more than a transom assembly. And I got a good trailer and a couple seats. That formula is easy to repeat

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I think real old drives had a different number of splines in addition to a different length drive shaft. Shouldn't be an issue if swapping the shafts though. I did think that the cutouts were different sizes for some reason. And also, was OP hoping to keep inner transom plate or swap the whole drive train?
I think he was gonna swap the transom housing entirely. Bottom line unless you have it all in front of you hard to tell whats what.

Its like all the work you did to piece your 4.3 together but using parts that are a generation more obsolete...

63fiberform

Cadet
Appreciate all the good advice! going to take a bit of a leap and I'm buying a similar boat with same set up just newer rebuilt outdrive, worst case if doesnt mate up to my 120 I will take the 120 out of the donor and fix it up. will post any issues of problems I have and the solution I potentially find. the 120 I have is mint and runs like a top. the old old outdrive still works but needs a tune up and I just give up on finding the parts for it

kenny nunez

Captain
It probably has full power trim. The transom bolt pattern is the same as well as every thing from the engine to the drive. If you reuse your current engine the only thing that might be slightly different is the wire harness for the power trim. Make sure that the shift cable, gimbal bearing and drive shaft bellows are in good condition from the doner boat. You will need new gaskets to mount the transom plate to the hull and the set to mount the drive. Also the 2 bottom anode bolts.
There are other things I probably missed, I am sure others will add some more help.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
its a 72 with a rebuilt outdrive and 120 motor
that should be the newer MC-1 drive. This drive would be compatible with the R/MR/Alpha GEN 1 drives if you need a replacement.

Kenny gives great advice on what to check

63fiberform

Cadet
that should be the newer MC-1 drive. This drive would be compatible with the R/MR/Alpha GEN 1 drives if you need a replacement.

Kenny gives great advice on what to check
It probably has full power trim. The transom bolt pattern is the same as well as every thing from the engine to the drive. If you reuse your current engine the only thing that might be slightly different is the wire harness for the power trim. Make sure that the shift cable, gimbal bearing and drive shaft bellows are in good condition from the doner boat. You will need new gaskets to mount the transom plate to the hull and the set to mount the drive. Also the 2 bottom anode bolts.
There are other things I probably missed, I am sure others will add some more help.
picking up the donor boat tonight will post some photos in the morning! and I was wondering for the parts I need is there a recommended online supplier? I really appreciate the help