Durable Paint for My New Boat Deck??

Sabin1269

Cadet
Hey all. I’m finally getting to the point of glassing over my new deck and am looking for some recommendations for a good durable non-skid for my deck. I’m torn between buying a premixed non-skid or just regular paint and using SoftSand on the first coat and then a few sealing coats afterwards. What are some good paints that will hold up? I’m not going to be in the boat everyday for sure but in the summer it will be used on the weekends quite a bit. I’m thinking of going with a medium blue color to offset all the white in the boat and most of the non-skid I have found is the generic white/beige/gray color.

Wildey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Rubberized epoxy maybe ?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
$$ paints are all over the map.
I used @wog formula and soft sand and its very tough. I'm a budget guy.
My paint for the boat is the formula @Woodonglass gave me years ago using rustoleum.
1656863730583.png

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
How about making the gel coat non-skid? It is a lot tougher than most paints.
I would do this.

did all my hull and decks under $600. just the non-skid on the decks under $100

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I used iterlux brightside 1part poly paint... it rolls and tips excellent, but not incredibly durable... after a year, there are a few small chips but the good thing is it can be repaired super easy...

If you are going for a shiny finished look, I'd highly recommend using duratec with the gelcoat.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Pitthane is a very hard industrial coating. Loads of people using on houseboat roofs and decks. My area can’t get the hardener at the moment though.