Do you use non ethanol gas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Not to be argumentative but isn't a decreased supply a shortage?
No, it's a decrease in supply. I haven't waited in any lines or seen anybody sold out, have you? And part of the shortage is absolutely due to Russia.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No, it's a decrease in supply. I haven't waited in any lines or seen anybody sold out, have you? And part of the shortage is absolutely due to Russia.
I see your point and agree that the Russia situation is a major cause of the high prices....

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
So for me, I use only costco gas. Its a top tier gas with no ethanol, and by me its cheaper than any other gas station around. Yesterday costco 87 was $3.89 while BP 87 and all other gas stations were charging $4.70. Its a win win. Best gas at a great price.

all of my garden gas tools crapped out using the ethanol gas around me. Since using costco, no more problems.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I use non-ethanol in my mower and the boat. The boat is for fishing and gets far more time on the electric trolling motor than on the outboard, so expense really isn't a factor.

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What's shelf life?
Earlier this year, I drained 40 gallons of 20 year old gas from parts boat. Been mixing 50/50 With fresh. Running log splitter and mowers no problem.
Last year used 10+ yr old gas mixed 50/50 in 91 F350, ran fine.
Imho, old gas can be used, just have to get used to the varnish smell.

As to e10, old 60's Japanese carbs have rubber o rings that will harden and crack from alcohol.
Non of my Quarda jets care, but wouldn't want to put too much through my 85 Johnson VRO V6 or chainsaws even with the oil in the gas. Any older carbs with rubber parts should see as little alcohol as possible.

Agreed. Can anyone opine if I should buy a Chevy or a Ford?? While you're at it, is it okay to put ketchup on my brat???

I think that most of us get to a place where we find what works for us. Back in the mid-2000s my snowmobile carburetor would clog every season. I was also having issues with a lawn mower. The only change that I made was to ethanol-free gas and never had a carb problem since.

My lawnmower, chainsaws, snowmobiles, and ATV all run on ethanol-free now. My Suzuki 90hp is supposed to only run on ethanol-free, but can run on e10 if that is all that's available.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I worked wild land fire for 20 + years. We used small honda powered pumps for mop up or even on running fire as well as prescribed fires. Every 20 hours the carb would need to disassembled and cleaned because a white jelly like substance in the carburetor. I brought a jug of startron and added it to the fuel for that pump and we never had a problem again. I do not care what others feel about fuel additives in this case I know what works, I saw and experienced it. Do not try to play the maintenance card either the equipment was always maintained and stored fire ready.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
My Volvo I/O requires Midgrade, but since Costco doesn't sell a Midgrade(in Western Canada), I just fill up with Premium which doesn't have the Disclaimer about the Corn Squeezings for Premium, like they have for Regular. Here in the Summer, the Humidity hits 100% just about every night, and I prefer to not have a Water Sponge in my fuel tank

southkogs

Staff member
I've cleaned up the topic a little. Let's keep this civil and stay outta' the politics please.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
like hell it is !

Attachments

• F0BDC475-5979-43F3-91F7-175C99DC8902.png
    F0BDC475-5979-43F3-91F7-175C99DC8902.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
I've cleaned up the topic a little. Let's keep this civil and stay outta' the politics please.
if you wanted to clean up this topic and keep politics out of it, you should've deleted the russia comments.....but you didn't....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Not to be argumentative but isn't a decreased supply a shortage?
A shortage to most is a lack of available supply due to various causes. Now, as in 1973/4 and 1979 there is no true shortage there was then and is now a politically caused decrease in supply. Everything that was done in this country to avoid a repeat of 1973/4 and 1979 & the ensuing years of high energy prices has been undone for policy reasons. Some people may not like to face facts but those ARE the facts.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The only shortage is caused by Oil Robber Barons, who figured out that they could make more money while providing less product. It is Simple Gouging

Reactions: KJM

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
And as far as E10 I haven’t really had a problem with it in the boat (4.3 4bbl Quadrajet) outboard (Suzuki DF 2.5) and 3 four stroke & 5 two stroke yard engines. The ones with bowl style carbs I do drain when stored. The oldest 2 stroke is a 25 year old Toro snowblower with a Suzuki 2 stroke and the oldest 4 stroke is a 35 year old Briggs 3.5 hp mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.