Cybertruck

aspeck

Staff member
I was surprised at the price ... thought it would be higher than that. Thought the "Faster than a 911 ... while towing a 911" was pretty cool.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Here is my take......

the skin is low-grade 300 series stainless. most likely 302 or 304 (they just call it 300 series). bird droppings and falling leaves will leave staining just like DMC did on the delorean when they were launched with 304 and later switched to 316. Tesla is NOT using 316L which would help their forming issues and prevent some staining. (This does echo the statement, those that do not understand history are doomed to repeat it)

vehicles parked near the ocean will see more staining

Get a ding, you must replace the whole panel. there is no body shop equipped with repairing the panel. Not sure a tig torch on the rolling computer is a good idea anyway.

11K towing capacity. no clue on range at that pace, however based on the other e-truck tow testing. I will stick with my dead dino powered vehicles for now because when I tow something, it for 500+ miles, at 70+ MPH

options. the other e-truck offerings (Ford, GM, Rivian, etc) have more options to choose from than Tesla/Cybertruck. the last 4 years since the cybertruck was announced in 2019, the whole e-truck market has bloomed.

bed access. the apocalyptic moon-vehicle styling means that no-on is standing on a running board to access items in the bed. that will get old fast. unless you just want the truck as a status symbol and not a truck

back in 2019, what was originally a wow factor has fallen to a mee-too factor, and that mee-too factor will be ever present as Stelantis and other manufacturers are launching in 2024

I personally know people that put money down to get a manufacturing slot years ago. even their interest has waned with the delay

Now, drop a compound turbo diesel into a 1954 pickup truck with a built 6-speed, custom chassis, manual roll-up windows and will be interested and drool over it

southkogs

Staff member
Thought the "Faster than a 911 ... while towing a 911" was pretty cool.
The video of the drag race with the 911 was killer, I thought.

I was also surprised - I must never have heard him speak before - Musk is a terrible speaker.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Glad I'll never have to think about wanting/getting/having one of those. But I am also glad others are looking into different idea. The vehicle shots in the video are interesting -but that is not a work truck. Ya, that guy is not much of a speaker. Is that the vehicle Leno tested when they were finishing-up the big dig?

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wonder what happens if you need to get the rear wheels in the water at the boat ramp? I will say the drag race was impressive

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The video of the drag race with the 911 was killer, I thought.

I was also surprised - I must never have heard him speak before - Musk is a terrible speaker.
Yeah, Elon has said that he has Asperger's and communication can be a part of that.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No mention of the cost to buy one.------No mention of the cost of ownership.----Leasing might be a good idea for a while.-------No mention of insurance and repair costs.----A vehicle for " well to do " members of the public I think.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Here is my take......

the skin is low-grade 300 series stainless. most likely 302 or 304 (they just call it 300 series). bird droppings and falling leaves will leave staining just like DMC did on the delorean when they were launched with 304 and later switched to 316. Tesla is NOT using 316L which would help their forming issues and prevent some staining. (This does echo the statement, those that do not understand history are doomed to repeat it)

vehicles parked near the ocean will see more staining
Cant say much, under NDA, but it’s none of the above with supposedly better corrosion properties than even 316L

FLATHEAD

Captain
Oh. Just to add, that truck is about the most hideous thing I've ever seen.
Oh I don’t know. I think it’s pretty sharp. Not a fan of the run of the mill electric vehicles and the reasons they are being pushed on us. But if I had that kind of disposable income I’d probably buy one for a “toy” Can’t deny the Performance of the thing. I think it would be a blast, despite whatever shortcomings it has.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Executives at the " big three " should be talking about this thing----I am not a fan of electric vehicles.-----Young folks today have different buying habits and priorities.

flashback

Captain
I like the torque an electric motor brings, but to be honest with you, most every problem I have on my 2001 GMC is electric. So I'm a bit jumpy going total electric. Gas gauge hasn't worked in years, abs light is random, stereo has lost a channel, and window motor crapped out, cabin fan random also..
Drive train is still good after 200k miles, had to replace the front wheel hubs a while ago but in My mind the mechanics have been a prince... electric not so much..,,:)

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On most any new ev, leasing is the best and smartest acquisition method.
You wouldn't want own an old tired ev.