Cost? Anybody in S. Wisconsin want to rebuild my transom?

JohnWI

Seaman
Mid 80s SS160 with a 70 on it but I'm really not the most mechanically inclined. I know there's a bit more that could be done, but the transom is most involved.

Anybody hear of someone sinking their yacht because of a marginal transom while just trolling along at 10mph or so? I'm OK with using the boat as a poor man's pontoon and just circling the lakes as I could use my JetSki for wanting to play.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
should be okay , iv seen some very questionable transoms and stringer rot still holding motors on boats .
stand on the cavitation plate and jump a bit on it , if the motor and transom snap off you will have your answer (y)

dwco5051

Commander
Anybody hear of someone sinking their yacht because of a marginal transom while just trolling along at 10mph or so? I'm OK with using the boat as a poor man's pontoon and just circling the lakes as I could use my JetSki for wanting to play.
Yep, a fellow I worked with inherited his fathers boat that had sat uncovered outside for about 10 years. It was similar to a 14' Boston Whaler but I don't remember if that was the maker. 10 hp Honda. Got the motor running and took it for a test run. As soon as he opened it up after leaving the dock the motor and most of the transom decided to go their separate ways.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Mid 80s SS160 with a 70 on it but I'm really not the most mechanically inclined. I know there's a bit more that could be done, but the transom is most involved.

Advertise in Craigslist. however being an aluminum boat, your looking at a weekends worth of work.

if you hire it out, it will cost you about $2k

if you do it yourself, it will cost you about $150