cooking

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
it is a battle...

For the most part, no processed foods. Some of course like those awesome tater tots but that was a big night and i had seven. Wife had 5. otherwise fresh fish, veggies and such.

Reactions: KJM

sangerwaker

Commander
I think that was my 5th one I've made. Trick is a good cut of meat. This one was wagyu. All my previous ones were USDA Prime briskets from Costco. All those were excellent too, the wagyu texture was amazing.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah i do get utility cuts aka choice. I've come close. What is cooking vessel?

sangerwaker

Commander
Cookshack electric smoker. I'm lazy. :) I like the set it and forget it. Cooked about 225 for 8 hours, but had to turn the smoker down some so it didn't get done too early. Rested in cooler wrapped in butchers paper for 4 hours. 2-4 hours in the cooler is my typical window.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
key to brisket is mustard slather and lots of magic dust...... then low and slow for hours with the right wood.

I like oak and cherry.

sangerwaker

Commander
I never use mustard. But my rub does contain mustard powder. Also gotta trim the brisket right. Too little fat left on and its dry. And too much fat is gross (my opinion).

Agree on oak and cherry for wood. I use a mix of bourbon barrel (oak) and apple brandy barrel (oak) and hickory for brisket.

FLATHEAD

Captain
key to brisket is mustard slather and lots of magic dust...... then low and slow for hours with the right wood.

I like oak and cherry.
For brisket I used to do mustard and rub. Now it’s pretty much a little salt and pepper and just a slight dust of rub. I don’t use charcoal, just wood. Mix of red oak and hickory is my choice of wood.

aspeck

Staff member
I also haven't used mustard on a brisket. I like salt, pepper, garlic powder, and coffee as a rub. If it isn't a great cut of meat I will let it marinate in an some type of acidic solution for a bit to help it before the rub. My smoke for any red meat is generally hickory, a fruit wood, and a touch of mesquite.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
No one has mentioned my favorite ingredient. Beer.

Yall wrap at or after stall?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If people are getting hungry, it gets wrapped in foil, temp gets pushed to 300 to break down the connective tissues.

aspeck

Staff member
I just snagged a great deal on 85# of pork butt and 35# of chicken wings! Now to decide when and where I am going to make it ... I think in September the church is having a meal ... guess I will be supplying the meat!

FLATHEAD

Captain
Too bad the drunken pirate ( Mr ladyfish) and Mike Kelton don’t post anymore. Those guys could smoke some grub.

sangerwaker

Commander
aspeck, have you used Boomyal's brine recipe on wings? Works awesome. We brine and dry season the wings and vacuum seal them until ready to smoke.

I also try to not wrap the brisket unless I need to get it done faster. I cook through the stall. Takes longer, but the bark on the brisket is a lot crunchier.

aspeck

Staff member
Never did the brine on wings alone ... every Thanksgiving and Christmas the family insists that a bird be done in Boom's Brine, but never have just done wings. Hmmmm... might have to try ...

I have actually done a version of Boom's Brine for some tough cuts of red meat ... fewer spices and a lot less sweetner (I use maple syrup for my brine instead of the brown sugar with a bird) and added some soy or teriyaki to the brine ... makes for an interesting effect.

64osby

Admiral
You all are making me hungry and wanting to get back to the smoker. I did pull a shoulder out of the freezer before reading this. Sunday smoking is a good thing.