Controls or cables?

chacar58

Recruit
I have a 1976 650 with Thunderbolt Ignition that's been a fun fit lately. Now that I have what I believe all the electrical solved I took a trip to the lake today and found more issues. The first is fuel delivery, I seem to starve whenever I get above 50% throttle, going to order new fuel sending unit diaphragm and seals this week. Next, I can only momentarily get above 50% throttle.

I have a huge N to F take-up before I feel the linkage moving, it changes gear immediately no problem but travels 20* before I feel any friction and the engine picks up and starts to move. I actually had to use a combo of the high idol lever and a little bit of throttle to get back to the dock because of how bad the slipping of the main cable was, took forever. Can anyone point me to where I can locate new controls as a whole or just the throttle/idol cables?

Thanks for the help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
MerControl units go from 12 o'clock (neutral) to about 9:30 (forward), before throttle linkage starts to move. That is normal.

As long as you get full throttle, they are working correctly.

Cables are available at many places. Controls are available from Mercury plus many aftermarket places as well.

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Run through the adjustment procedures in Merc manual first.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The standard MerControl box is quite durable. The Go-Go Lever, can be down around 7 or 8 o'clock at Full Throttle. As mentioned make sure both Cables are the correctly adjusted length wise. As for the starvation issue, Have checked/cleaned the fuel filters, Are all connections between the tank and engine free from leaks? Is the Fuel pickup in the Tank free from leaks and free of Dirt, Gum/Jelly? Fuel lines have taken a Beating with the less than bright idea of adding Alcohol to Gasoline, well not only Fuel lines, pretty much the entire Fuel System