Cobia 220WA 200hp yamaha

peteb48

Cadet
Just joined the forum. I have an opportunity to purchase a 2000 cobia repro for half NADA value. The boat has been sitting for more then a year. It has a 200hp yamaha saltwater11 I have never owned a boat and but now live on the bay and putting a lift in. the depth of my water at low tide is very shallow 14". Most people in the neighborhood own boats of this size and time the tides. I really don't know what I shouldbe looking for an I'm concerned about an engine just sitting. Could anyone give me an ide if I should just forget the Cobia and look for something else or what to look for in the Cobia to protect myself. If anyone has information on another boat that would be better suited for the Cheasapeake bay and how shallow my water is at low tide please advise.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cobia 220WA 200hp yamaha

If the Yamaha was running good a year ago, then it should still be good. But it's still important to have a marine mechanic look at it to be sure. WalkAround types will have a little more weight than open boats like center consoles and dual consoles. Which increases draft a bit (not a lot). For very shallow water many folks will go with a bay boat. But these are also open type boats, really very different from a WalkAround. There should be some big boat dealers in your area that can show you the different types of boats.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You should get the boat surveyed by a marine surveyor and the motor checked out by a qualified mechanic. It will be the best money you will spend on the boat since it will give you a good idea of what is wrong and what it will cost to right it. If you want "opinions" on Cobia boats then you'd be best off asking on fishing forums like TheHullTruth (www.thehulltruth.com). Just keep in mind that opinions from people who have never owned the brand of boat you're inquiring about are worthless. You really want to hear from people who have owned the brand. Good luck in whatever you do.

peteb48

Cadet

thanks so much for your help. I'm not sure how to find a mechanic. I guess just go into a shop an ask.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Look in your Yellow Pages under "Boat Repair & Maintenance". Or words to that effect. Call around first. Not all shops work on outboard motors. And not all shops will give you a quick checkout while you wait. Some will want you to leave the boat for a week or more!<br /><br />Kelly

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure about there current offering, but Cobia has been around quite a while and built many a quality boat. My 16ft runabout is a 79 Cobia that still has many years left in it.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This thread is like Deja Vu (however it is spelled). I was at one of those "donate your boat for charity" places yesterday and they have the exact same boat/engine in their yard. For a minute, I thought you were talking about the same boat, but then I saw your location.<br /><br />Regardless, that is a sweet looking boat. I would spend some $ to have it checked out and move on it if it is good.<br /><br />Good luck

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let us know how much you like/dislike it. I'm interested in a newer Cobia myself.

peteb48

Cadet

I will but, it probably won't be until June. I think as soon as I get it on my lift it will be to cold to take it out.

peteb48

Cadet

The boat had a bad cylinder on the power head. After looking at new boats thinking of offering lower and replace the powerhead. Any ideas on total cost to replace?

BillP

Captain

Sounds like they priced the boat accordingly. Make a counter offer based on a powerhead rebuild. If you rebuild the powerhead it will be a used boat with a "new" motor at a nada used boat price. Better situation than a used everything.