Clinton J9-1000 water tube issue

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1968 J9-1000 ser # 00798

I'm not getting good water spray.
I changed the impeller. The old one was not disintegrated just permanently bent blades. Installed new one.

When putting lower on, the water tube seemed very wiggly and doesn't seem to go into the pump body very far.

Question: can I reach into the column with a pair of pliers and pull the tube lower?

Question: could the holes at the top be plugged?

The obvious idea would be to pull the power head and have a looksee.

Last question: what's the chance of being able to reuse the spacer gaskets?

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
most water tubes Ive dealt with only go into the cover about 3/4 inch. You can replace the rubber grommet that the tube goes in.

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Decided to pull the power head.
The tube appears bent slightly and the end is mucked up some. The driveshaft looks to have rubbed on it at some time.

I'm going to try to file the end to good surface then rebend the tube so it's just inside the pump about the 3/4 in.
Also I'll try to tighten up the rivets at the top.
20230716_183836.jpg20230716_183936.jpg20230716_183907.jpg

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The crankshaft seal, that is.

It runs okay in a barrel, not that it means too much.
I've had it many years, but have never really used it. I think PO used too much oil by the looks of the build up. I use 32:1

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
most water tubes Ive dealt with only go into the cover about 3/4 inch. You can replace the rubber grommet that the tube goes in.
The O-ring definitely had something to do with it. It was swollen and made it very hard to push the tube in. Replaced with new one.

Straightened tube and tightened rivets.

Wow! That tube sure bends easy! I can understand how it got whacked up.

Had to make new gaskets for under the power head. All put together and looks good. I'll start it up tomorrow

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks to be fine to me. Running it in a barrel is about as close as your gonna get to the water. Ear muffs I think are only good for some things, I always try to run in a deep tub or trash can

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Started it up yesterday. Nice spray of water now!

I have a 55 gallon plastic farm barrel. Should I leave the propeller on or take it off?

For short starts, I use a tall bucket so the water is above the pump. I remove the prop so as not to blow all the water out or chew the bucket up. Also a garden hose to keep it full.