Clear Plastic Fuel Tank Question

Gary13

Cadet
My boat came with a clear plastic 18-gallon above-deck fuel tank manufactured by Promens. I need to replace the filler cap but I can't find anyone that carries this tank and I have only found 1 other person that has ever heard of them. All the clear tanks I have seen are below-deck type and do not state that they are UV stabilized.
If you have any info on these tanks, especially where I might find a replacement cap, it will be appreciated
Gary

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Clear Plastic Fuel Tank Question

Promens South Bend,
3300 N. Kenmore Street,
South Bend, IN 46628
USA
Directions

Tel:+(1) 574 232 8066
Fax:+(1) 574-232-6036 (PNA Headquarters), 574-233-5562 (Production Office)

I think this is you're manufacturer.

Gary13

Cadet

tswiczko..thanks for your research. Only thing they list is corporate information and a sample of some of their products. Looks like they are strictly wholesale/export.
Guess I had just as well get a good Moeller tank and get it over with....no need to chase ghosts :).

Gary

JoLin

Vice Admiral

tswiczko..thanks for your research. Only thing they list is corporate information and a sample of some of their products. Looks like they are strictly wholesale/export.
Guess I had just as well get a good Moeller tank and get it over with....no need to chase ghosts :).

Gary

You already tried calling them, then?

http://www.promens.com/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-155/287_read-442/

The South Bend, Indiana facility was acquired by Promens in 2006. South Bend?s entire manufacturing process consists of products for the custom segment including fuel tanks for the marine industry and various configurations of highway safety barriers. The 82,000 sq. ft building houses six rotational molding machines. The office for PNA Headquarters is also at this location.

robert graham

Admiral

I'm not familiar with the above deck clear plastic tanks, but seems they would be used more for below deck applications. Mine is a red Moeller 12 gallon above deck tank. I sprayed a coat of red paint on the upper surfaces of my tank to help keep the sunlight/UV off of it, colors match and you'd never know it was painted, seems to help with the UV degrading/cracking of polyethylene, 11 years and the tank's still good! It'd be a bad thing to be way down the river somewhere and have a crack come in your tank! It could happen if you or a passenger accidently stepped on top of degraded/brittle plastic tank. Just a thought!

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Have you tried any filler cap on the tank? I doubt that the are unique and simply use an industry standard cap.

Gary13

Cadet

I'm not familiar with the above deck clear plastic tanks, but seems they would be used more for below deck applications. Mine is a red Moeller 12 gallon above deck tank. I sprayed a coat of red paint on the upper surfaces of my tank to help keep the sunlight/UV off of it, colors match and you'd never know it was painted, seems to help with the UV degrading/cracking of polyethylene, 11 years and the tank's still good! It'd be a bad thing to be way down the river somewhere and have a crack come in your tank! It could happen if you or a passenger accidently stepped on top of degraded/brittle plastic tank. Just a thought!
Robert.....I can see where a cracked tank could create a whole list of problems :eek:. That is one of the reasons I have been checking on my tank to see if it is UV stabalized. It is the first clear plastic above-deck tank I have ever come across. I have also noticed that a lot more people are complaining that their pick-up tubes in the tanks are becoming brittle and breaking off.....again not a good situation to have. I am not sure what brand of tank is affected with this problem.
Thanks for the input

Have you tried any filler cap on the tank? I doubt that the are unique and simply use an industry standard cap.

Jeeperman....I tried the cap off of a Tempo tank without any luck....I am going to try a Moeller as soon as I can get close to one.
Thanks for the input

robert graham

Admiral

Most all exterior plastics/polyethylenes are UV stabilized to some degree but the direct sunlight will degrade them over time anyway. Maybe you could cover your tank with a board or tarp or something to keep the summer sun off it. Like I mentioned, I just put a coat of spray paint on the top of mine and it seems to be holding up good. Those red Moeller tanks you can order from Overton's or Cabela's are good and fairly inexpensive, I think a 12 gallon is $70. If your clear tank is still good and you can get a gas cap for it, then maybe it would be fine with a coat of paint on top surfaces? I rarely throw away anything that's still serviceable. Good Luck!

Gary13

Cadet

Thanks Robert
My tank is under the console and when the boat is not being used, the console is covered all the way to the floor. During use, the tank is almost totally blocked from sunlight by the swingback cooler seat but invaribly, some sunlight is going to hit it. Thinking seriously about some paint, since I cant cover the opening while in use because then it becomes a closed system that would require additional ventilation.

robert graham

Admiral

Sounds like your tank is out of the way under the console and well protected from the sunlight/UV. My tank is in the back of my jon boat and very much exposed to the sun and weather and that's why I painted it. What kind of gas cap do you need? My rail buggy has a clear fiberglass tank(I avoid ethanol fuels with the fiberglass), with just a 2" hole in the top and I use a black rubber "oil-filler" cap from Autozone or Advance Auto that goes right in there fine. Tank has a pet-**** and vent tube on other end of tank. Don't forget the vent and make sure your marine fuel/ethanol/additives don't disolve the black rubber! Nothing is simple anymore! Good Luck!