Cleaning aluminum gas tank

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Love this forum. Great information from knowledgeable boaters.
Looking for advise on the best way to clean the inside of an aluminum gas tank. I’ll be removing the tank from a 1990 Bayliner 2652. Once removed I’ll pressure test and if it passes I’d like to clean the inside. What’s the best way to clean the interior of tank? Fuel has been removed( well most of it) a couple drops remaining. Any help would be appreciated.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I've never done this but have heard it come up before.
Load the tank with some chains and drive around with it in a pickup and let it rattle around.
Good luck.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
After you remove the fule gauge sender, you will have a reasonable hole. You can use purple stuff cleaner, a swab, pressure washer, nuts/bolts/chains etc. What kind of debris are you trying to get rid of?

Use some alcohol after you have all the water out to dry the tank.

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have used purple power and hot water, after draining fuel. Rlet it soak a bit then agitate. Use a friend and swish it around. Rinse well. Dry well. I use a hair dryer in a short piece of filler hose to connect it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A hair dryer has a red hot element. Although sparks are unlikely, it is still a possibility, and real bad if gasoline fumes are still present.

A lot of shop vacuums use motor brushes. These always spark, so don't use them either.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there are about 30 other posts on cleaning fuel tanks.

here are a few from a simple search

airshot

Rear Admiral
Being aluminum there should not be any rust, so just a quick scrub and flush is all that should be needed. If badly corroded then reconsider using the tank!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
E85..........the best fuel tank cleaner and drier on the market.

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the tank is washed well with soaps, drying with a heating element is of no consequence,