Chem Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rough and ready '74 Starcraft Chieftan 18' rebuild

All of us could use a 1 ton lift. I'm dreaming motor pulls and hull flips. :D

One nice thing about the Jeep - That 4.0 has guts and if you have 4 wheel low, no ramp can stop you. Also 20-22 MPG highway when not towing isn't bad.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Thanks, BF! After watching this local PBS segment on the Hudson striper run, I've got to put your neighborhod on my short list of fishing destinations within trailer distance: Outdoor Journal - Hudson River Stripers, Doe Camp, Podunk ... | TV Schedules | Vermont Public Television

pm me around mid-April and we'll line somethin' up! I'll bring the bait & pay the launch fee...anything for a ride in that chief!!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

^^Nice!!!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

As we all know, craigslist is, for the most part, a seedy wasteland of overpriced garbage. However, once in a great while you get to meet a seller who is not only honest, but goes above and beyond to make sure his merchandise is not going to let you down. I just met that guy :).

I posted the jeep up above^^^, knowing that he was going to be doing an engine swap (he left it outside without anti-freeze, so it was easier to just get a new junkyard engine than replace the block), but what I didn't expect was a complete re-seal: valve cover, oil pan, and manifold gaskets, plus an extra alternator and PS pump. And he's sending me update text messages with pics!

Anyway, I realize that this is pretty far off-topic from boat rebuilding, but pics or it didn't happen, right?

SVZe7OQ.jpg

SS9SnYv.jpg

WWgwF0Y.jpg

MGlikgo.jpg

Have a great evening fellas!

GA_Boater

The inside of the motor looks pretty clean, not sludgy at all. Glad you hooked up with a good seller.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

scrollin' up from the bottom, i thought you were using the jeep as a donor :eek:

(then I remembered you have an outboard :facepalm:)

Good on that seller! proud of that old jeep!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

The inside of the motor looks pretty clean, not sludgy at all. Glad you hooked up with a good seller.

Me too, GA!

scrollin' up from the bottom, i thought you were using the jeep as a donor :eek:

(then I remembered you have an outboard :facepalm:)

Good on that seller! proud of that old jeep!

AMC tower of power? :lol:

Hopefully I'll have some boat project stuff happening around here for my next updates. Gunwale reinforcement, as I was in a hurry to get her splashed and skipped a bunch of backing plates, order and install a bimini with a zipper package, fold down seat bases with actual, real seats, and then think about a good spot for two more deep cycle batteries for the i pilot. That last one may have to wait on funding.

Cheers!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

So lots of folks have been asking, "Hey, CW, what's been going on with the Chieftain?" Actually, nobody has asked, but I'm going to tell you anyway!

You can see that I picked up that "rust free" XJ a few months back^^, and encountered kind of a big problem when I went to mount my hitch:

sYYlGzq.jpg

Ripped the rear unibody frame apart with a breaker bar, and found a huge hole under the exhaust hanger:

mkNkuxb.jpg

Both sides were pretty bad. So I got a friend with a stick welder to basically help me build a new frame out of 3/16" box steel. It looks a bit sketchy but it's probably more solid than the factory "frame" on these:

sDK1fsV.jpg

7RqXAjh.jpg

a9tuWWn.jpg

avFemAz.jpg

continued....

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

...and, the hitch finally installed:

qM3sBR7.jpg

Good to go:

xUioISs.jpg

Then I put on my poor man's thinking cap, and came up with this $60 helm/passenger seating arrangement:

uhiirjj.jpg

SVTidan.jpg

Plywood scrap, $30 dollar seats from amazon, and the original SC seat hardware (I need to clean these up a little):

peubi6j.jpg

I used PVC board to build out from the gunwale so I can drop the seat base down over the throttle/shift cables:

kcl6PZF.jpg

Nothing fastened down yet on that...just tacked in place.

continued...

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

And it'll fold down with the folded seat like so:

BgtSMnW.jpg

And just some random stuff here. I finally figured out a trailering solution for my OB, which was made difficult by a too-short trailer frame. One of these works great, and with the ratchet straps holding it straight it's not going anywhere:

7cWWm8F.jpg

T0QswZf.jpg

Got my probe rigged up, but with the late ice out this year and crappy weather on my days off so far, I haven't been able to try it out:

41Ah52S.jpg

U7UnvFH.jpg

Oh, and I have to cut out a piece so I can use full throttle in reverse, 'cause ya never know when you'll need that!

Tufyxyt.jpg

I guess that's it for now. I also just ordered a Sunbrella bimini (navy) which should be here in a week or so. I should have my seating rig painted and bolted in by then with a little dry weather. I'll post a couple of pics of the seats in the shade when I get there.

Cheers guys!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Pictures of everything except what I've been waiting for... a Walleye caught off of that boat!:laugh:

Just kiddin' ya CW, everything's looking good and it looks like you're coming out of the annual ice age up there. I'll be it feels real good to piddle around with the boat again, doesn't it?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Pictures of everything except what I've been waiting for... a Walleye caught off of that boat!:laugh:

Just kiddin' ya CW, everything's looking good and it looks like you're coming out of the annual ice age up there. I'll be it feels real good to piddle around with the boat again, doesn't it?

Yep, it feels great. If I'm going to catch a Walleye, it's going to be real soon. This is basically the only time that all the fish are up at the surface looking for warm water. Unfortunately, we had a huge Alewife die-off, so the bite is pretty light with thousands of dead/half dead Alewife floating around waiting to be eaten by predators. Or so I hear, 'cause between working 50+ hours a week and non-stop high wind and rain, I haven't gotten a line in the water yet. I'm hoping Saturday afternoon clears up.

I hope you're enjoying some fishing down your way, jig.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Excellent! That's a freezer full of panfish, or a couple of great meals for a bunch of people. Nice job! Those must be fun to catch in bunches on ultralight tackle.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I did a drain and fill on the trans in the Jeep and threw one of these in, 'cause it can't hurt:

saXZYri.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

EDIT: Oh yeah, I did a drain and fill on the trans in the Jeep and threw one of these in, 'cause it can't hurt:

saXZYri.jpg

Excellent!

Now you can tow the Chieftan over to the Bay of Quinte on lake Ontario, they have a phenomenal fall run of huge Walleye there and they troll for them like you would for those salmoon-oids.

GA_Boater

You've been makin' hay while the sun don't shine from the looks of things, CW. lol The seat is pretty ingenious. :smile: jbcurt isn't missing his hitch, is he? :lol:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Carp, lousy bolt on hitch assemblies, any nut w/ a wrench can steal it at any time
37b.png

Looking good CW.

GA: That's going in your permanent file
26a.png

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Carp, lousy bolt on hitch assemblies, any nut w/ a wrench can steal it at any time
37b.png

Looking good CW.

Thanks, JB. I didn't do it.

You've been makin' hay while the sun don't shine from the looks of things, CW. lol The seat is pretty ingenious. :smile: jbcurt isn't missing his hitch, is he? :lol:

I spent more time than I care to admit trying to come up with something that would allow that seat to swing down. Now I'll probably never use that feature :rolleyes:.

GA, I think you chimed in over on the trailer and towing post I made about the load leveling shocks. Well, I had some major sag going on with the factory leaf springs once the trailer was hooked up, so I replaced the shocks with these and no more sag:

eMwgxBJ.jpg

I wouldn't use them to "fix" shot springs, but for towing they're great. And pretty cheap...under $100 for the pair if I recall correctly. No wrestling with rusty shackles: priceless.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Welcome back from the ice age CW. The Chief is looking great and like she's close to the finish line :thumb:

GA_Boater

GA: That's going in your permanent file
26a.png

JB - I just saw your name on the hitch, so I was wondering - Not accusing. :rolleyes: :smile:

I spent more time than I care to admit trying to come up with something that would allow that seat to swing down. Now I'll probably never use that feature :rolleyes:.

GA, I think you chimed in over on the trailer and towing post I made about the load leveling shocks. Well, I had some major sag going on with the factory leaf springs once the trailer was hooked up, so I replaced the shocks with these and no more sag:

You'll drop the seat when you want some cockpit room fighting fish. :joyous:

Are those air shocks or some coil-overs? I added single helper leaves on my Cherokee when I was hauling a heavily loaded UHaul trailer from PA down to GA. Stuck them on in an AutoZone parking lot in the rain. :embarassed: The swaying slowed down enough that I could get back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.