Chem Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rough and ready '74 Starcraft Chieftan 18' rebuild

Chem I would repair with wood and fiberglass!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh: Ok Sorry Tinny humor!!!:dance:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Chem I would repair with wood and fiberglass!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh: Ok Sorry Tinny humor!!!:dance:

Ha....it took me 15 minutes to drill out and patch with angle and JB Weld. It doesn't look pretty right now, but I'm good to go 'till I can paint next year.

I will say that there are some windy days here when a deep-v glasser would smooth out my ride a bit, but I'll take a pounding as the trade off for just about everything else :). Sorry to see you're already laid up for the winter...the boat looks great so far.

dozerII

Admiral

Hey Chem sorry I missed the ask on the splashwell cracks. Hope you figured out a good repair for them.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Chem sorry I missed the ask on the splashwell cracks. Hope you figured out a good repair for them.

You helped me without even knowing it! I referenced your thread for a version of your fix. Thanks!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Final salmon run of 2013, and a new (used) toy.

Just a couple of sunrise shots on my way over to the Adirondacks a couple of weeks ago, before we got covered in snow and ice:

6TOL22P.jpg

BIqk7Xf.jpg

OxgGn6i.jpg

...and the new gadget:

VpcfjNf.jpg

mRyHhHU.jpg

I've been scouring the local CL and ebay listingsfor a cheap-ish working model of one of these, a Moor Sub Troll 900. Finally found a "buy it now" for $150, which is $300 less than a new model. For those who've never seen/used one of these, a group which would have included myself a few months ago, it's a speed and temperature probe/gauge that attaches to your downrigger cable above the weight. So you can get your presentation right above the thermocline and know what the currents are doing 80+ ft down. I've never used one, but many trolling guys say it's the one piece of electronics they wouldn't be without. I'm psyched to give it a shot this spring.

I hope y'all are having an excellent holiday stretch, and I also hope that not too many have been affected by this ice mess that we have here. Cheers!

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wow, wish I could be saying I was on the water this late in the season. Nice score on the sub troll. I'm sure you will put it to good use. I have contemplated getting one of those units for quite a while but seems there is always something else I need. But if I do get one this next season it will be the Moor. Have a happy New Year & good fishing.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Willy, I know the fish hawks are very nice, and the new ones have speed, temp, and depth now, but at $700+ I just would never be able to pull the trigger for a fishing tool. I know, durable goods and all, but I'll sink that money into auto pilot first.

That trip was most definitely my last until March or April. Until I have some canvas to huddle in it's just kinda masochistic bein' out there right now. That's in the plan for 2014, though, along with a bunch of other boat projects...in between house painting and roof repair. Happy new year to you as well!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Hard core being out doors doing anything here let alone skimming the waves. All my lakes are a foot thick with ice right now anyway but the Columbia never freezes up. There's a deep down rigger lake nearby where some guys use those and some other gadgets too like black boxes for the wires. I've found that salmon fisherman will spend tons of money to catch them.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Guys, I'm stewing' over something and I wanted to solicit some knowledgable advice. I realize this may be better posted in an engine forum, but it's not a repair issue. I have an opportunity to pick up a 1990 Honda 5hp four stroke for likely under $400. It's been on my local CL for a few weeks asking $500. I'd obviously be using this as a kicker, and it will get a lot of use. My concerns are that it's a single cylinder, so I really don't know if it'll be much quieter than my 4hp two stroke, and I've heard that the singles vibrate a bit. There's also the issue of needing a separate tank and where to put it...splash well with a modified platform? My 45 year old lightwin runs fine, but the noise and smoke wouldn't be missed.

I guess I'm just wondering if this would be worth my time and $, or if it's really just a sailboat kicker for limited use vs a full time trolling kicker. I know it'll have enough power. Thanks!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

It might vibrate a bit,...

But the lack of noise and smoke is a good thing,....

If you can pick it up cheap enough I'd do it,....Worse case scenario you don't like it and get your money back out of it,......IF you buy it right,...........

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

It might vibrate a bit,...

But the lack of noise and smoke is a good thing,....

If you can pick it up cheap enough I'd do it,....Worse case scenario you don't like it and get your money back out of it,......IF you buy it right,...........

Great point on the resale value, Teamster, thanks. I just sent an email.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep ^^^ agreed. Running that small of a 4stroke kicker, how much gas is it going to need?

Fuel storage would be my last concern. Short term a 3gal portable can could sit on the deck in front of the splashwell sliding doors. Since you found cracks in the splashwell, I probably wouldn't set the fuel there.

IF the motor works out AND you want this rig to be more of a full time fishing rig, make some changes to the under splashwell setup or find a 'good' tank location elsewhere on the boat.

Quiet is good :watermelon: Or at least better....

Until you replace the 'vintage' primary OB, you'll still get plenty of 2cyl smoke. Which apparently many of us enjoy :D

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, JB, agreed on all of that up there^. I think I can manage a 3 gallon sitting on top of or just aft of the main tank with some tie-downs or something like that...I'll figure it out. These Hondas are supposed to sip fuel, even more so than my little 'rude.

The main power smoke isn't an issue, as you're generally moving away from it at a good clip...it's the calm days when you're moving at 2 knots pulling your spread for a few hours when the little 2 stroke racket and smoke make you crazy :crazy:. I'm also hoping that the triple lasts another 30 years :thumb:

Cheers guys.

skullbus

Cadet

my buddy bought a new Yamaha single cylinder and has regretted it ever since for trolling. While trolling with his poles loaded they shake because of the vibration and drive him crazy ,The motor is great smokeless and quiet. I would save my money and look for a twin cylinder a six H.p. or greater .good luck

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Hey, cool, thanks for the info. I may go look at it and see how much it shakes at idle, but I'll definitely keep this in mind...you're not the first person to mention the issue, which is why I put it out there. Cheers.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Damn you were out on the lake December 30th?! I'm 5 hours south of you and packed it in months ago I feel like a wimp :) boat looks great, salmon look great!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Damn you were out on the lake December 30th?! I'm 5 hours south of you and packed it in months ago I feel like a wimp :) boat looks great, salmon look great!

CT, I call it peer pressure :D Seriously, these guys are way more hardcore than I'll ever be: Lake Champlain United - Forums - Index page

But they're also the most helpful and generous group of anglers I've ever encountered, with absolutely no hesitation in sharing tips on just about anything related to local salmon trolling. Check out the fishing reports to see what I mean.

But, like I said, pretty hardcore:

20140105_090350_zpspux76awq.jpg

EDIT: If you're wondering, ya, they use the OB to push the ice out. I don't think it worked in this particular instance :lol:

I've yet to get one of these, but they're pulling them into boats on the regular:

file.php

10+ lb atlantic right there^^

jbcurt00

Staff member

Man, sorry, dropped this elsewhere & forgot to drop it here:
$_57.JPG

Perhaps it'll ^^^ me just enough motivation to keep the cold off while ice fishing.... NICE catch!!

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Those are two of the coolest starcraft images I've seen. I might have to print that vintage flier to hang on the wall

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Must be nice for the guys in your end of the world to be able to get out on the water. This is a pic of my favorite port all iced in. One nice thing is they have the dredge in there and are going to start dredging the harbor which will be great as the lower water levels made her increasingly shallow.

Checked out your Champlain site and nice to know people like to share info and are friendly at that. Over here on the great lakes we encounter what we refer to as "Combat Fishing". Hoards of boats all trying to fish on top of each other cutting others off and tangling into their lines,,,,,,radio is full of people yelling back and forth. Such is the fun when the salmon near shore in August.

Status
Not open for further replies.