Chainsaw cutting lube in a pinch

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have a Bauer electric chainsaw.For an electric it cuts really awesome.Needed to do some cutting and had no chain lube of any kind what so ever.Concerned about dulling my very sharp chain, was going to opt for a really desperate source of lube.Was about to fill the bar chain reservoir with dishwashing liquid.I have used this for many applications of lubrication but never in a chainsaw.Took it really easy on the chain and just poured a little on the chain every now and then.Hesitated on putting into the reservoir.Good or bad idea??? My other option was to use used motor oil.Have to keep some fresh oil on hand next time.Charlie

dwco5051

Commander
I would go with the used motor oil. I know cutters that have used it for years. I have often used it myself. There is a downside if you are cutting eight hours a day your jeans get very dirty. You get new oil on your jeans but it doesn't show as much. To paraphrase a regular contributor to this forum "any oil is better than no oil."

matt167

Captain
Used motor oil, even cooking oil I have used in a pinch. Old 2 stroke oil as well

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Mix of atf and gear oil
Used oil
SAE 30 (lawn mower)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Most bar oils are ~ 30 weight, they also contain a tackifier for better adhesion to the bar. Helps to keep the oil from being thrown off the bar during operation.

If you use motor oil with an automatic chain oiling system, be prepared to supplement to keep adequate oil on the bar.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Well......Dawn for dishes worked quite well in a pinch.Kept everything moving and no smoke from a hot chain so I may continue to use this since my reservoir is still full of it.
Oil keeps bar groove and links from wearing out.
Oil has nothing to do with keeping the chain sharp.
So here is how lubricating the chain was explained to me by the last shop that sharpened my blade." a sharp chain needs lube to keep moving as freely as possible at cutting/friction point, to keep chain from excessive friction which leads to excessive heat from the excessive friction ,thus leading to a dulling of the sharp chain. Makes sense to me....The used oil thing just wasn't for me.I really like my workbooks and just dont want any dirty oil messing them up.Charlie

alldodge

Staff member
Think of info from a guy who sharpens chains the same as info coming from a forum. Someone is correct and it may not be your first thought.

I gree with excess heat will create wear, just not on sharpness, more bar wear

Just my opinion

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I wouldn't even think of dish soap. It's a cleaner of corse, and will wash away any residual oil. Any other oil works better. But keeping a bucket of real bar oil makes it so much easier.

dwco5051

Commander
Think of info from a guy who sharpens chains the same as info coming from a forum. Someone is correct and it may not be your first thought.
Get on one of the arborist or chainsaw forums and you will find that 75% of the content is "What is the best 2 stroke oil", "Is it necessary to grease the sprocket on the bar", and "Used motor oil for bar oil".

Similar to boating forums except Pennzoil doesn't make bar oil but there never is a consensus.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I wouldn't even think of dish soap. It's a cleaner of corse, and will wash away any residual oil. Any other oil works better. But keeping a bucket of real bar oil makes it so much easier.
Def cleaner than used oil.So far so good!!1 Will keep you posted. Charlie

flashback

Captain
Oh charlie, you must know that the EPA type folks use dawn to wash the oil off of ducks.. what do you think it does to the chain links on your saw?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Oh charlie, you must know that the EPA type folks use dawn to wash the oil off of ducks.. what do you think it does to the chain links on your saw?
Lol, just happened to be dawn in my garage because we stopped using it in the sink due to what it did to our hands.Destroyed the skin ,very harsh on the hands.Great in the bilge though.Charlie

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Use vegetable oil used in every ice cutting chainsaw with zero issues. The oil protects the bar not the sharpness of the chain.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Get on one of the arborist or chainsaw forums and you will find that 75% of the content is "What is the best 2 stroke oil", "Is it necessary to grease the sprocket on the bar", and "Used motor oil for bar oil".

Similar to boating forums except Pennzoil doesn't make bar oil but there never is a consensus.
Have never lubed a sprocket on a chainsaw. I was a C faller working woodland fire in 12 states, heated my house with wood. Never had a sprocket fail before the bar was shot. People do not realize how important the bar is to have a good cutting saw. I replaced bars every year.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
No but it helps keep it from stretching and keeps the bar happy. A tight chain will cut better
A properly tensioned chain when you lift on the chain to support the weight go the saw, the drivers as long as they are in the slot of the bar it is good to go, too tight and wears the bar faster. Also a modern chainsaw is very reactive to throttle there is no need to rev the saw before you start cutting, stop that you sound like a hack.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Lol, just happened to be dawn in my garage because we stopped using it in the sink due to what it did to our hands.Destroyed the skin ,very harsh on the hands.Great in the bilge though.Charlie

Not dishsoap please purge that saw now, it will effect lubrication going forward. The bearing behind the clutch will be shot, it will repel lubrication.

Last edited: