Carpet bunks and salt water

Hantsman

Cadet
Hey all,

I have a relatively new painted aluminum boat and would like to prevent as much corrosion as possible as I use this boat in salt water fairly often. The boat is always kept on a trailer when not in use. I'm worried about corrosion from the salt water soaked bunk carpet. Has any one every tried the plastic type bunk covers or polyurethane bunks? Will this rub the paint off the boat? Or is the carpet nothing to worry about? Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a relatively new painted aluminum boat and would like to prevent as much corrosion as possible as I use this boat in salt water fairly often.
wash the boat often

I'm worried about corrosion from the salt water soaked bunk carpet. ........... Or is the carpet nothing to worry about? Any advice would be
not really a worry

Has any one every tried the plastic type bunk covers or polyurethane bunks? Will this rub the paint off the boat?
yes, this will rub the paint off, just slightly faster than the carpet, especially if there is sand in the water that gets stuck between

carpet or UHMW bunk slides are both acceptable.

make sure your bunks are plain wood or cypress. do not ever use treated lumber on a trailer with an aluminum boat

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I don't do carpeted bunks. But I do like the "plastic" covers.

I bought a new aluminum boat and it came with a new trailer. No choice. Before I rebuilt it I added EZ Slides (my cover of choice) and the $%^& things didn't work. Although I have had good success with FG boats, this was not up to my liking.

I replaced the bunks entirely with all roller bunks. Worked like greased lightnin. Besides. with the reduced contact area hosing down should be real easy.