Capt. John

CUMBOD

Recruit
Got a 1957 Durateck under restoration/modification.
Model # 197RD Serial # 18069
Length 18'3" Beam 7'2"
Anyone know model name and maximum horse power rating?

58sealine

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Capt. John

Joe Mansueto at www.duratechboats.com shared with me. He explains the information on my ID plate and provides some history relating to my boat. The following information was derived from my nameplate info and the pictures of the boat.

"This is the Sealine 14 foot Runabout Deluxe. True, it's closer to 13 feet if you measure down the center line, but they measured along the gunwale from stern corner to nose...and she should be about 13' 7". Beam should be about 62". The Sealines were the deep-V hull of the Duratechs at the time; they made a more shallow V as well, called Veeline. This one may be mis-marked however...we see a bit of this in the late 50's, mostly in '58. Your tag indicates 'S 47'. The S represents Sealine, the 4 is odd...from the picture, there looks to be no '1' in front of it, as this should read S147...the 14 being a 14 foot hull...and the 7 represents 1957. Also, the S147 would not have the mid and rear decking on top as yours has; this means that the boat was likely not dressed and put in inventory with this decking, but was later added and the tag not made to reflect what it ended up as. Also...your decking appears to be the light blue of 1958...whereas in '57 the decking was a pinkish-red. Does any of this vinyl decking appear to be painted over with blue? I've received pictures from a number of guys where the pinkish-red was painted over with this light blue type color. If you find underneath some hardware that the vinyl is pinkish-red, I won't be surprised. If it's blue vinyl, then my educated guess is that the hull was constructed and tagged in '57, (due to the '57 model number AND the serial number range putting it as a '57), but was dressed with decking in early '58. Not sure if they'd have registered this as a '57 due to the tag, or as a '58 due to having been finished and sold in '58. Interesting, and not the first like this. All of that said...if this boat would have been finished with this decking and tagged correctly in '57, it would have been a S147RD (RD for Runabout Deluxe...due to that mid and rear decking); if tagged properly in '58, would have been a S148RD. Whew...that's a lot of info I threw at you, but info you'll want to hang onto since you won't find it anywhere else."

Great information from Joe.
Please post some pictures of your boat in its current condition as I cannot fine may pictures of Runabout Deluxes other than what is on this website and I am on the home stretch of a complete restoration of mine.
Thanks.
Tom

CUMBOD

Recruit
Re: Capt. John

Hey Tom,
Your right, a lot of info.
Did you read my question?