Cannot prime after carb cleaning

KYboater56

Cadet
I have just removed and cleaned my carburetor on my 1974 25hp Johnson. I also replaced the fuel line running to the carb. When I went to give it a test run the bulb would not harden up. It feels empty no matter how much I squeez it. The gas tank and fuel line is new and I have been using frequently so I don’t think that is the problem. Please give me any suggestions for troubleshooting.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
unplug the hose that the engine and see if it pumps gas as you pump if you stick a small screew driver in the female end. it shoud sqwirt fuel as you pump.

if not you chould be sucking air instead of fuel check hose connections and tank pick-up tube

if ok the the carb inlet needle is stuck open (won't close) does the fuel flood the carb ??

KYboater56

Cadet
unplug the hose that the engine and see if it pumps gas as you pump if you stick a small screew driver in the female end. it shoud sqwirt fuel as you pump.

if not you chould be sucking air instead of fuel check hose connections and tank pick-up tube

if ok the the carb inlet needle is stuck open (won't close) does the fuel flood the carb ??
I detached the hose that runs from the fuel pump to the carb. I then primed it and fuel was coming out. There are no leaks. The carb doesn’t seem to be getting any fuel.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
when you service a carb it is important to finish with a blow test on the fuel inlet

held right side up with no fuel in the carb.... air should freely enter the carb when blow in and exit . IF air does not exit the carb is blocked and the air lock will prevent the entry of fuel.

when held upside down air should NOT enter the carb since the inlet needle will be closed by the upside down gravity of the float

if this simple test fails the carb will fail also

KYboater56

Cadet
when you service a carb it is important to finish with a blow test on the fuel inlet

held right side up with no fuel air should freely enter the carb when blow in and exit .

held upside down air should NOT enter the carb since the inlet needle will be closed by the upside down gravity of the float

if this simple test fails the carb will fail also
I have blown into it while right side up and no air is passing through. Does this mean the float is upside down?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
whatever... just flip the float over and retry . the inlet needle must drop down when the carb is held right side up .
if not run a small mono line in the inlet barb air must pass right side up...

upside down ......the float must be level with the carb body and inlet shut off

if not run a small mono line in the inlet barb air must pass right side up...

lindy46

Captain
Did you install a rebuild kit? Did you remove the float when cleaning? Could be a stuck float or a stuck needle. Did you install the little clip on the needle and float arm to keep it from sticking?