Can I wire a electric choke switch

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the merControl in the photo and the electric choke is not working. Can I wire a separate switch to make this work again?

Thank you in advance 044D2EA4-0533-4867-BBE5-6C9537C48BAB.jpeg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You can, however, those choke switches last a real long time. I would open the control and see what the issue is. Maybe the wiring is bad.

Your other option is to change the ign switch to a push to choke model.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what troubleshooting or diagnosis have you done. As indicated above, you will have to look to find the problem. could be bad wiring under the cowl, could be bad wiring in the boat, could be a bad enrichment solenoid, could be a bad switch.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'd meter the circuit, at the motor, before takin' the control apart,.....

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for the responses as I’ve had some corrosion issues in the past.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Once I’m able to get the boat out of storage I’ll open the controller up and see if I can add some fresh wire.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You can, however, those choke switches last a real long time. I would open the control and see what the issue is. Maybe the wiring is bad.

Your other option is to change the ign switch to a push to choke model.
Just to cover all my bases where would I find an ignition switch that would work with this model of controller? This seems to be a fairly older setup.

matt167

Captain
These were last used in the early 80s think and originated in the early sixties. So they were stout, proven and well made… the ignition switch for a 1980s Johnson for instance would be usable. Push to choke. You would need to follow wire diagrams to wire it

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Once I’m able to get the boat out of storage I’ll open the controller up and see if I can add some fresh wire.
troubleshoot prior. you may not have a wire problem.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Just to cover all my bases where would I find an ignition switch that would work with this model of controller? This seems to be a fairly older setup.
again, troubleshoot prior, you may not have a switch problem.

simply throwing parts at a problem and not understanding the problem is like lighting $100 bills and tossing them in the wind.

5 minutes with a DVM and you can diagnose what is wrong and what needs repair or replacement.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you do end up replacing the ignition switch, take the existing one and make sure to match its size. Those MerControls do not have a lot of extra room in them. It is likely that a Mercury OB dealer can get one for you.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you do end up replacing the ignition switch, take the existing one and make sure to match its size. Those MerControls do not have a lot of extra room in them. It is likely that a Mercury OB dealer can get one for you.
I remember that from the previous issue where I ended up replacing the ignition switch about 5 years ago or more

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
again, troubleshoot prior, you may not have a switch problem.

simply throwing parts at a problem and not understanding the problem is like lighting $100 bills and tossing them in the wind.

5 minutes with a DVM and you can diagnose what is wrong and what needs repair or replacement.
I agree but the boat is 5.5 hours away in storage. That’s why even if I buy a few “could be” parts I can always keep them in the toolbox for later or if I need one I have it. I don’t mind spending a few bucks to have a few parts to fall back on if needed. I do completely understand what you’re saying though. The other issue is I’m really out off the beaten path so Amazon isn’t an option or a local parts store.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You did not mention the age of the MerControl. The MerControl wiring I had on my motors since 1978 lasted up until a year ago.
At that point the wiring was pretty bad throughout the control, but the mechanicals were fine. I had extra wire in the boat harness, so I cut away the bad stuff and resoldered all the wiring to the ign key and choke button as well as the neutral interlock. The MerControl worked fine, and after my work the wiring was good.

Of course, after rewiring the original MerControl, I wanted the PTT buttons on the control, so I replaced it. The new control is not of the same high quality as the original.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
On a related issue. Not sure what year your motor is, but the 80s and 70s Merc engine wiring harnesses tend to go bad after this much time. Look for insulation falling off the wires. New engine harnesses are avail after market for most motors. Heck, your choke wire could be broken at the engine or in the quick connect plug.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for the information you all are extremely informative. My boat is a 1976 Ranger the engine I believe is from the 80’s it’s an 85HP

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The wiring insulation from the 70s thru 80s will have failed by now

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The wiring insulation from the 70s thru 80s will have failed by now
Yeah it did already quite a few years back. Wasn’t much wiring in the controller to work with from what I remember. I’m tempted to go pick it up and bring it home just to fix it. A lot of time and fuel though.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a coating I can add to the wires to eliminate or lessen the likeness of them becoming brittle and breaking?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Is there a coating I can add to the wires to eliminate or lessen the likeness of them becoming brittle and breaking?
if you are using wires made in the last 30 years, the insulation is a better material.

tinned copper core with urethane insulation will suffice.