Can i cut my bunks down?

FLATHEAD

Commander
Quite rusted out. I wouldn’t waste a lot of time playing with that trailer. Tons of decent used ones out there for sale reasonable.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I don't see why a tongue weight can ever be too high, unless the tow vehicle can't handle it.
Too a point……a trailer is designed to support 85-90% of the load on the axle, leaving the support structure (frame) to support 10-15% of the load.

The real question when moving the weight forward of the axle, how much weight can a support structure designed to support 10-15% of the load carry before deflection causes problems with the geometry or the structure suffers and outright failure.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
I am just keeping this thing until I buy a new trailer. I talked to a local shop today. $1400 for a new galvanized trailer. I am really leaning towards doing this. I have sold some extra stuff so I've got the money. I am keeping boat for a good while. She deserves a good ride. Plus Im getting more and more paranoid taking it down the road.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You won't get and don't need 10% tongue weight with a boat trailer. Between 5% and 10% will be fine. Unless your hitch or tow vehicle can't handle it more tounge weight is always better than less.

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
Maybe Y'all can answer this

My car is a 2010 honda CRV. Max towing capacity is rated for 1500 lbs. My tongue weight now is around 240 lbs. When i moved boat up almost 2 feet is was weighting around 280 lbs. Im guessing both of these are too heavy technically. Ive never noticed any issues.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Maybe Y'all can answer this

My car is a 2010 honda CRV. Max towing capacity is rated for 1500 lbs. My tongue weight now is around 240 lbs. When i moved boat up almost 2 feet is was weighting around 280 lbs. Im guessing both of these are too heavy technically. Ive never noticed any issues.
Manual says #150 tongue weight max....

The real answer can be found using the curb and gross weights listed inside the drivers side door