C40TLRX stumbling or cutting out

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I have had this 1999 C40TLRX start giving me some problems the last 2 times I took it out on the water. It started and idled fine but when I got up on plane it sounded like it was dropping a cylinder and losing some RPMs and them coming back up to normal. The bulb stayed hard and it did not help to pump it while running. I pulled and cleaned the filter and checked the fuel pump. I even pulled the carburetors and cleaned them but did not see anything that could be causing a problem. Took it out again and it started and ran fine for the first few minuets, but fell off of plane and almost died as I was heading back to dock. It would not even idle very well, coughing and such. After running on high idle while I tried choking the individual carburetors with my hand to see if it would make a difference it started to run fine again, but when at high RPMs and under load I could still feel some RPM drop every once and a while. It was suggested that the timing may be changing due to a faulty CDI unit.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try and troubleshoot this problem?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: C40TLRX stumbling or cutting out

if it runs better when you hand choke the carbs might indicate a lean mixture as caused by air leak in fuel lines/connections or plugged jet in carb. how do your plugs look? if they're very white could indicate lean mixture issue on that cylinder. Good luck!

Casco Bay Outrage

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you got most of the crud from the carbs (engine retest was good at first) but not all.

I suggest you take them off again and really go at it on all the tiny orifices and re-test.

It often takes more than one cleaning to get it all done.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I went through the carbs again and it still has a WOT cut out, almost like it is dropping a cylinder, but runs fine around 1/4 to 3/4 trottle.
Runs a little rough at idle and coming off of idle but then smooths out until it starts to cut out after WOT for a minuite. But does not stumble comeing out of hole.

I noticed something strange when I started pulling the plug wires while it was idling, when I pulled #1 wire the RPM actually came up and the motor idled a little better, the other 2 cylinders had a RPM drop when I pulled them.

Has anyone seen this before?
If so what could cause this to happen?