Building a gantry crane

matt167

Captain
I’m kind of thinking about building a gantry to swap engines and drives on my big StarCraft. Has anyone built one? I was going to use my father in laws big tractor but I probably won’t do it at his house now. None of my tools are there and his selection is limited

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The A-frame I built for pulling my SBC was 3 2x10s across the top, 3 2x6 verticals and 2x6 angle braces and stringers. Would have lifted 5x the load I had on it.

When I was done, I used the lumber to make a mezzanine for storage in the storage unit.

I did find a harbor freight A-frame in craigslist for $500 about 10 years ago I bought to swap a motor. Resold it for $50 more the following month. Maybe check CL or facetube marketplace

matt167

Captain

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I’m kind of thinking about building a gantry to swap engines and drives on my big StarCraft. Has anyone built one? I was going to use my father in laws big tractor but I probably won’t do it at his house now. None of my tools are there and his selection is limited
Another option is a wrecker with a boom. I went though thinking through a making gantry , which will certainly work, and essentially used a wrecker with a boom. certainly will have a cost but when you consider your time, it may work for you… took the guy longer to set it up with outriggers etc vs janking the engine very easy to position and get an initial alignment on

matt167

Captain
Another option is a wrecker with a boom. I went though thinking through a making gantry , which will certainly work, and essentially used a wrecker with a boom. certainly will have a cost but when you consider your time, it may work for you… took the guy longer to set it up with outriggers etc vs janking the engine very easy to position and get an initial alignment on
If I had a buddy with a wrecker I’d consider it. We have a skid steer and forks at work that probably has the lift I need. But I have to get both boats there