Building a '93 Caravelle 1750 Classic Bowrider

chevymaher

Commander
This year is strange for the heat. My boat been sitting for the same reason. It is even hot as H@ll when it is raining.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Monsoon season here. High humidity with thunderstorms. But it's been cool at least.... 104 was the high today

chevymaher

Commander
Since I spoke it is no rain high water and reasonable temps. I hear the water calling today.

tpenfield

Staff member
Cape Cod (and the northeast) has been hot for a few weeks . . .
Humidity has been terrible as well. I'd hate to be fiberglassing in this type of weather . . . all kinds of challenges to compensate for.

Great for foaming the hulls though . . . :cool:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Man, 90’s is perfect for boating in my humble opinion. Just got back from the lake breaking in my buddies new Axis wake surf boat….man that thing is fun!!

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah I foamed my boat here in Central Florida in mid Dec and had to buy a space heater and also got my infra red paintstripper going, finally got the garage up to temp at 3am. Ironically and painfully I grinded in an enclosed tent in July so yes I have been 6 months out of schedule since the beginning!

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
Getting ready to Attack the Crack. I still plan to use the Lock-N-Stitch method to fix the crack in my engine block.
This year I am putting the boat AHEAD of fixing the lawn tractor. Not going to miss another boating season. Last summer was so hot that I just gave up trying to work on the boat.

Yesterday's weather was great, so I vacuumed out the leaves and pumped out the year-old gas.
20230205_164527.jpg

20230205_171232.jpg
Hopefully next weekend I will get the manifold off and drill a few holes to check the block thickness at the crack so I can order my "kit".

I ordered another cheap marine stereo as well. The one I installed initially failed after only a few uses. they fixed it under warranty, but the time it took and the shipping cost was not worth it.
The repaired unit never even saw the lake. I think the hard freeze we had killed a solder joint or something. I really with the Chinese would incorporate lead in their solder so their products will last. I lost a chinese stereo in my truck this winter as well.

Reserector_

Well, progress is progress. I managed to replace my failed chinese stereo for the second time so I can listen to music while I work. I went with a different brand of junk this time. Maybe I will have better luck.

With that out of the way, I tore down the engine to access the patched area near the top of the block. I need to chip and grind this patch off so that I can drill some small holes and determine the casting thickness.
You can see places where water leaked up and over the top of the patch.
Crack.jpg

I was losing good daylight and Mrs. Reserector wanted to go on a Valentines date, so that's it until next weekend.

Reserector_

I got the JB Weld off of the crack and mapped it out. At least well enough to drill a couple of small holes to determine casting thickness. That helps the people at Lock-n-Stitch to determine which pins to put in your kit.

I sent them an email with this photo and the thickness info and requested a quote. I hope they are merciful on me.

20230218_163017.jpg

Reserector_

I got my materials ordered to fix my 7 1/2" long crack. $355.74 for everything including tax and shipping. That includes pins, drill bits, tap, spot facing tool, cutting fluid and special thread sealant.
They are also sending a thumb drive with all their videos along with written instructions.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I got my materials ordered to fix my 7 1/2" long crack. $355.74 for everything including tax and shipping. That includes pins, drill bits, tap, spot facing tool, cutting fluid and special thread sealant.
They are also sending a thumb drive with all their videos along with written instructions.
There’s two cracks there right ? On below head and one above pan rail ?

Had good luck with this method on mill casting at one of my old jobs years ago was a permanent repair

Reserector_

There’s two cracks there right ? On below head and one above pan rail ?

Had good luck with this method on mill casting at one of my old jobs years ago was a permanent repair
Yes, there are two cracks. I repaired the lower one by brazing while I had the engine torn down. You have to put a ton of heat into a block to do that.
Unfortunately, I failed to see the upper crack. Now that the engine is back together and in the boat, Lock-n-Stitch makes more sense. No removal or tear-down.
Also, that close to the deck of the block, it would likely warp and require decking to true the sealing surface.
$355 smackers is cheap when you consider all of that.
I have very good access to the repair area. I can sit there with my cat, with one foot in the bilge and go to town on that dude.