Building a '93 Caravelle 1750 Classic Bowrider

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
The launch went well. Even with a group of bass fishermen grouped near the ramp announcing winners. No pressure.
The engine started and idled perfectly.
I was pleased at how quiet it was. 🙂
As you saw in the video, I had trouble when applying throttle. It just bogged and refused. The longer I applied throttle, the worse it bogged.
We putted around awhile trying to fathom what the problem was. We eased back to the dock to investigate.
Oil pressure was only 30 to 35. Mostly 30. I definitely hurt this engine by running it backwards. 😞
Back at the dock, I opened the hatch, popped the cable off the carb, and revved it in neutral. It revved right up.
When I revved it, water rained down from behind the manifold. I had brazed the big crack at the bottom and later found a crack along the top. It didn't look bad, so I repaired it with JB weld. The block never leaked a drop in the driveway! It sure was leaking now, but only when I revved it.
The timing hadn't changed and neither had the carb, so I decided not to touch those. I'm not convinced the timing is correct, though.
I removed the air cleaner, leaving only the flame arrestor and we took it out again.
No change, but devoid of new ideas, we just idled around while we enjoyed the day and pondered possibilities. Most of my mission was accomplished .
I've got plenty of justification for a replacement engine, and I'm open to advice on where to look. PM me.
On my way to get the truck, I saw grease slung onto the trailer wheel. Major bearing failure. The hub ate into the stub, but not bad enough to prevent me from getting it home after some grinding and another hub.
I just repacked these bearings. There is a flat washer, slotted nut and a cotter pin. The only thing keeping the nut from turning was the cotter pin. I think it tightened itself into a bind somehow. These stubs should have D washers IMHO.20210515_170344.jpg

Reserector_

Today I checked the exhaust flapper. It does not move freely. Never did. The rubber drags against the sides of the tube, but I figured it would free up with the heat and water. I have doubts, now.
It was partly closed, just as when I installed it. Any advice? Should this spin easily on the rod?
20210516_142111.jpg

I checked it out because I thought it might be the cause of the bogging. Any thoughts?

I then removed the primary fuel filter and checked its contents. Zero contaminants and zero water.
My next step is to check fuel pressure, but I'm going to add a test port to the hard line to do that.
Any other ideas on what would cause bogging under load? There was an occasional backfire as well (from the carb, I think)
I had the blowers going and could smell gas during my attempts at throttle-up depending on wind direction. No signs of fuel leakage.

Reserector_

I forgot to mention my noob mistake while pulling the boat out of the water. Pretty classic, actually.
My two sons were in the boat as I started up the ramp. One says to the other "Shouldn't the thing be up?" Then20210515_171051.jpg it hit and they yelled "DAD!!! STOP!!!" I stopped, and (thinking there was a rope attached or something) I backed up a little and they hollered "STOP!!!" again.
I stopped and they told me that the drive was still down. I had them raise it up and we continued. Once off the ramp, I Inspected the outdrive and was pleased to see that the Skeggard saved the day! It was a pricey part, but I wholeheartedly endorse these, now. The little skid on the bottom took one for the team. I will try to straighten it a bit, but that little bit of damage is nothing to what COULD have happened.

Reserector_

So from what I just read on Michael Romer's YouTube channel in the comments, Volvo Penta issued a Tech Bulletin saying to leave out the exhaust flappers. They are ineffective and cause more problems than they are worth.
I will be removing mine for good measure.

I think my problem is timing related, however I will test fuel pressure as well.
Another possibility is the power valve in the Holley. The kit part was a different number than the original. But you know me; I have photos that I can revisit. ;)

I've ordered new spindles to rework my axle with. The new ones are EZ Lube with the brake flanges already welded on. When I am through with that, I will go ahead and install the disc brake kit on the trailer.

Once I get all of that squared away, I will take it to the lake one more time to see if I solved the bogging issue. THEN I can decide the long-term fix for the engine. Patch and rebuild, or bite the bullet and replace...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I forgot to mention my noob mistake while pulling the boat out of the water. Pretty classic, actually.
My two sons were in the boat as I started up the ramp. One says to the other "Shouldn't the thing be up?" ThenView attachment 340454 it hit and they yelled "DAD!!! STOP!!!" I stopped, and (thinking there was a rope attached or something) I backed up a little and they hollered "STOP!!!" again.
I stopped and they told me that the drive was still down. I had them raise it up and we continued. Once off the ramp, I Inspected the outdrive and was pleased to see that the Skeggard saved the day! It was a pricey part, but I wholeheartedly endorse these, now. The little skid on the bottom took one for the team. I will try to straighten it a bit, but that little bit of damage is nothing to what COULD have happened.

I'm pretty sure you're the first of us to do that.... NOT!

Reserector_

I stumbled across YouTube videos about anti-syphon valves failing. I have one on my tank and don't need it because the tank is the lowest point in the system. They say it can cause a restriction that affects the top end.
That may have been part or all of my problem when I tried to get up on plane and it would starve and almost die.
I will probably replace mine with a normal barbed fitting.

I finally got all the tidbits to add a fuel pressure test port so I can connect my gauge properly.

This weekend I worked on the trailer. Got the axle out and the old stub shafts (spindles) cut off. The tube is cleaned up and I am ready to weld the new ones on.
I upgraded to EZ Lube spindles with brake flanges already installed. the only feature they lacked was the D washer, so I modded them to accept those. I feel like if I had those to begin with, I wouldn't have destroyed a bearing because it would've kept the preload I set instead of the cotter pin letting it tighten a bit more. I think that's what made it fail.

I'll go ahead and set up the brakes while the axle is out. Much easier that way.
Here's a pic of the spindle after the hub ate into it and we took a grinder to it to get another hub on.
20210522_155745.jpg

I had to use one of my new rotors to get it home. Glad I had it. I'll find a way to carry a spare loaded hub from now on, just in case.
20210522_123516.jpg

Comparing old vs new
20210522_150926.jpg

Mississippi Loc-tite
20210522_155916.jpg

Cutting, and torching and grinding and chiselling...
20210523_124122.jpg

..but eventually, the old spindles are off.
20210523_125732.jpg

D-ring modded by machining a flat on the side opposite the cotter hole. The cotter hole is offset because of the grease passage down the center.
20210523_145334.jpg

Ran out of daylight and ambition, but had to mock it up for a photo.
20210523_202532.jpg

Last edited:

TankerDan

Seaman
My two sons were in the boat as I started up the ramp. One says to the other "Shouldn't the thing be up?" ThenView attachment 340454 it hit and they yelled "DAD!!! STOP!!!" I stopped, and (thinking there was a rope attached or something) I backed up a little and they hollered "STOP!!!" again.
Its like forgetting to put in the transom plug. You only forget it once

Meames1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I saw a spare tire carrier through e-trailer (I think), that had a loaded hub as the mount for the spare. I thought it was a good idea. Maybe you can modify your tire carrier to do the same.
Also, I've had my boat on the lake 3 times now, this weekend was the first time I remembered to raise the drive.....:rolleyes:

Edit, I found it. Was on Amazon. Shouldn't be too hard to copy using an old spindle.

Last edited:

todhunter

Canoeist
I saw a spare tire carrier through e-trailer (I think), that had a loaded hub as the mount for the spare.
That is pretty genius. I may modify mine to do this now. I sometimes use a tow dolly to haul my race car to the track and always just throw a backup hub for the tow dolly in the truck. Having it mounted on the spare tire carrier would mean it is always there.

Reserector_

I should be able to modify the HF carrier I have using the leftover parts! I'll even have a spare spindle if I really get in a jam.
Thanks for the link @Meames1
I just wonder how I'd keep it from spinning while tightening or loosening the lug nuts...
...weld something behind it that prevents rotation, I guess?

chevymaher

Commander
Get a axle buddy. Bearing buddy whatever your calling them., They keep it greased I heard more than one say they never had a issue using them. I got them on mine. Grease it once a year.

Attachments

• bearingbuddy.png
    bearingbuddy.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 1

Reserector_

The dimensions are the same, but there is a grease fitting at the end. the fitting might have to be removed, but that defeats the EZ Lube feature.
EZ Lube pipes grease to the back of the rear bearing allowing you to push out the old grease.

Reserector_

The axle beam is rebuilt and repainted. Brakes are installed. The axle is back in place and wheels are on.
The surge coupler is next. I'll have to drill the plug welds out of the existing coupler to remove it.
20210530_121133.jpg

Reserector_

All done except for attaching the hoses and bleeding the system.
The original coupler was welded on eight ways from Sunday. Ridiculous is an understatement! I hope that company is out of business. They deserve to be. Took me hours to cut that thing off. It should've been bolted.

Attachments

• 20210531_121138.jpg
    20210531_121138.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210531_124314.jpg
    20210531_124314.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210531_133128.jpg
    20210531_133128.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210531_135213.jpg
    20210531_135213.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210531_140324.jpg
    20210531_140324.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210531_160052.jpg
    20210531_160052.jpg
    9.7 MB · Views: 8

Reserector_

Found a pic of the painted, rebuilt axle beam. Too late to edit an earlier post.
The offset spindles forced me to rotate the brake flanges a bit, but disc brakes don't care. As long as they're at noon or rearward.
20210529_181720.jpg

Reserector_

Boat progress update from the Department of Redundancy Department.. Our motto is "Anything worth doing is worth doing twice. "

I tore it down to the block and found that the water leaks were from my JB Weld repair. I think I should have prepped the surface better because some places held and some didn't. That's what I'm hoping, anyway.
I decided to try again. This time using a grinder for the final roughing. I also reinforced it with fiberglass screen.
Seepage from under the JB Weld.
20210612_124940.jpg
You can see where the adhesion failed and the surface rusted.
20210612_171908.jpg

New repair.
20210613_150450.jpg

The manifold gasket may not have totally sealed because of the port mismatch (different model years). I have the "other" gasket on order now.
Perfect fit to the head...
20210613_141717.jpg
But the openings are too big for the manifold. It barely meets up at the bottom corners.
20210613_141801.jpg20210613_141820.jpg
I also added a test port to the fuel line so that I can test the fuel pressure once I get it back together.
20210612_123201.jpg
This was also the perfect opportunity to remove the exhaust flapper that is now obsolete per a technical bulletin from Volvo Penta.
20210613_150608.jpg

Attachments

• 20210613_141630.jpg
    20210613_141630.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 5

Reserector_

Dock lines

Boat project update:
If you've watched the First Splash video, you'll recall that the boat wouldn't take throttle well enough to plane out.
Since then, I've gone through every possibility (there were several) and am eliminating them one by one.

Well, Sunday was a breakthrough! I finally got to test fuel pressure and found that there is nearly zero.
View attachment 20210620_162635.mp4
Should be 5.75 to 7.0 psi at idle, but it barely moved the gauge off of the pin.

I tested the gauge on the trailer tire and it showed over 30 psi, so I know the gauge is working.

I bypassed the anti-syphon valve at the tank and got the same result.

I ordered this unbranded pump so long ago that I doubt I can return it.
20210620_162827.jpg
This time around I shopped by brand instead of lowest price and decided on a Carter pump. I should have it by the weekend.