Broken Choke Detent

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This topic has been posted before, but I've not seen it answered.
So the detent broke inside the carburetor silencer cover.
I ordered a new detent (a real nightmare and shortage of these now with a $30 price tag for a tiny piece of plastic) and attempted to replace it. Seems like a pretty straight forward task, but.........I'm not sure how it can be done without breaking something. Any ideas??

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Take a good look at the detent.----Take a good look at where it goes.----I have installed more than one of those in my time.----I believe it should be obvious as to how it slides in place.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I've replaced a bunch in "The Day" also. Likewise, I don't remember the exact details, but I sort of think it's a matter of squeezing it or something. Agreed, it's too many $$$$ to break it.

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I did it but probably not the right way. Busted out the file and filed the detention down enough to get the choke knob through.
It works but it pained me to do it that way since I’m sure it won’t last as long if I wouldn’t have.

kbait

Commander
For others with broken detent..
Thread/secure a small zip tie between choke lever and surrounding detent piece. Creates friction so choke will stay engaged for starting. Sometimes zip tie works better on side of choke lever, sometimes bottom..depending on model.
Good luck!

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great option especially since those detente are so expensive and are a nightmare to get the choke knob through new.
Thanks for the tip!!