Bought my first boat to tinker on. Looking for advice

aspeck

Staff member
I have learned my lesson. Add me to the list of poster children who advocate for use of proper ppe. LOL
I believe this was mentioned at the beginning! LOL! It is all good as long as you learn from the mistakes and the mistakes aren't deadly! We learn best when we learn the hard way!

I am guessing your skin is especially sensitive to the glass or you have a resin toxicity that you are dealing with. Hope you are feeling a bit better.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I believe this was mentioned at the beginning! LOL! It is all good as long as you learn from the mistakes and the mistakes aren't deadly! We learn best when we learn the hard way!

I am guessing your skin is especially sensitive to the glass or you have a resin toxicity that you are dealing with. Hope you are feeling a bit better.
Truer words have never been spoken. LOL....
You are right......but I took some of the information with a grain of salt......Because I had gone through minor exposure with cutting the fiberglass.....I had absolutely no idea that grinding it was going to be this extensive until my arms were already covered and it was to late. I am just thankful that I at least did have enough common sense to wear a suit.....

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
To be honest, I am not sure. My suit did not have cuffed sleeves and I never taped them shut. I laid down and worked for hours on end with them open like that. Once I started feeling the itch, I figured that I might as well continue because it's already too late and I was going to feel this regardless. I only did this to myself. I see a dermatologist tomorrow morning finally and I can probably find out more about it all then as to whether or not I am sensitive or have a toxicity. Unless he tells me that something severe could happen if I keep grinding, I still plan on going back at the boat right after the appointment tomorrow......with 110% proper coverage of course

I do feel much better. The itching now is only bad when I take a shower, but I also look forward to those hot showers.....Opens those pores up and then I exfoliate the hell out of my skin until it is raw so I can remove as much fiberglass shards as possible.

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sorry....rant over 🤣
Alittle rant never hurt anyone.
Unfortunately, the older we get, the more we are given to sentimental times.
I'm pretty certain a good majority of the folks offering encouragement and advice can relate to your sentiment. Stay the course, you'll get there. :)

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Guess who went back at it hard and doesn't have any fiberglass exposure issues?!

This guy!
Tyvek suit
Disposable clothes
Shoe covers
Plastic bag over shoes taped to pants
Another shoe cover
Legs taped shut
Painter's sleeves
Work gloves
2 latex gloves on each hand
Respirator
Goggles
Hood up
Big fan to blow dust away.

Probably overkill but that's how I did it!

7 hours later abs I believe demolition and grinding is complete! How'd I do?

Boat is cleaned up... stray wires are wrapped up. Took a leaf blower to the boat and tent. Boat was pulled out to enjoy some sun for a while.

Next up..... giving her and the trailer a good power wash...... cleaning up the power tools of all their fiberglass... mow the grass in the tent..... and start the rebuild!!!

Attachments

• 20240501_122459.jpg
    20240501_122459.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240502_184322.jpg
    20240502_184322.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240502_184327.jpg
    20240502_184327.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240502_184339.jpg
    20240502_184339.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240502_184342.jpg
    20240502_184342.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240502_184354.jpg
    20240502_184354.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20240502_184359.jpg
    20240502_184359.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240502_184432.jpg
    20240502_184432.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240502_184453.jpg
    20240502_184453.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240502_184457.jpg
    20240502_184457.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20240502_184508.jpg
    20240502_184508.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 20240502_184520.jpg
    20240502_184520.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks good, and quite honestly, you have become the poster child for why you should follow good PPE practices to start with!

Looks like you're done with the crummy part. On to the fun stuff!
Yes, I had mentioned some time this last week that I could be exactly that! LOL. I learned my lesson the hard way.

I was worried I didn't grind enough, while others say I ground more than others......I'm no pro, but I believe I am done! Can't wait to start the fun part!

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, So I know I can find these answers by looking around, but I like talking to you all. What kind of plywood do you recommend?
What width? I am thinking 3/4
Where can I get it?
When pulling the current stringers, they were butted up against the transom, but the current transom looks like it might not be original. It came out in pieces as a large rectangle and a triangle piece below it that looks like the other bulkheads. I am guessing prior to that, the transom was all one piece, and the stringers from then appear to have been butted up against the skin of the boat to the width of the transom and the old transom placed in between the stringers......With that being said, which method will create the strongest build? I am thinking of rebuilding the transom as one while piece and put that in first and having the stringers butted up against the transom.

What kind of fiberglass materials are needed?
Where can I get a good quality glass at a decent price?
I am understanding that PB is a thickened resin?
How do I make PB?
What is filleting?
What is tabbing?
What kind of epoxy/ resin do I use?
What other useful information can you provide for me?

Fiber glassing is uncharted territory for me, so any helpful info is appreciated!

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also, do you think that I could move my gas tank up 6-8 inches to create a larger bilge as well as give me a little easier access to the gas tank hoses and wires? That last bilge are was tiny and I was not able to access it until I removed the gas tank and bulkhead from the rear of the tank.

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Go to the stickys and watch friscoe boaters videos. That’s where I learned the lingo and materials needed.
exterior grade plywood( available at your local home store)
you need to decide on polyester resin or epoxy resin.
I used us composites for my glass and epoxy. What glass depends on your choice of resin.
Yes PB ( aka thickened resin) . I mixed cabosil to make mine.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
In case you are not familiar with stickies

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Go to the stickys and watch friscoe boaters videos. That’s where I learned the lingo and materials needed.
exterior grade plywood( available at your local home store)
you need to decide on polyester resin or epoxy resin.
I used us composites for my glass and epoxy. What glass depends on your choice of resin.
Yes PB ( aka thickened resin) . I mixed cabosil to make mine.

To the OP, keep in mind that if you go the epoxy & fiberglass route you cannot put gelcoat over the top of it or polyester resin & fiberglass to allow bonding of gelcoat.

Epoxied boat floor deck 100% requires paint or some 100% opaque coverage such as glued boat carpet or other permenant boat floor deck covering due to epoxy gets damaged over time from significant UV exposure.

Many want/like to gelcoat the floor and/or bilge because of ease of cleanup. Can't do that if you epoxy the deck. There is hardended boat/deck paint, however I cannot speak of the pros/cons on it.