Bought my first boat to tinker on. Looking for advice

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
sorry to see that you're still dealing with this, that's why I will not ever do another. You have to be really careful with the personal protection equipment.
Next boat will be near new. That, or I'm joining the Freedom Boat Club.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bet ya don't do that s.... again.
After this week, I should be done with the real difficult stuff.....After that, the only grinding I will have to do will be regarding the rebuild.....I have to grind down the exterior of the hull to gelcoat, and grind down any imperfections to make things flush etc. After all that though.......I will not ever voluntarily go through this much grinding again.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
sorry to see that you're still dealing with this, that's why I will not ever do another. You have to be really careful with the personal protection equipment.
Next boat will be near new. That, or I'm joining the Freedom Boat Club.
It is what it is...I will be extra careful when I go at it this week. It will probably be overkill to be honest, but I do not want any more itching.

What's the Freedom Boat Club??

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It’s a business arrangement like leasing a boat. You pay X amount a year and can use several boats of a certain size each week. You pay membership & gas and they do the maintenance etc. It can be a good deal like car leasing is sometimes but it’s expensive. Good for people with $$ who want to go boating without the headaches.

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
It’s a business arrangement like leasing a boat. You pay X amount a year and can use several boats of a certain size each week. You pay membership & gas and they do the maintenance etc. It can be a good deal like car leasing is sometimes but it’s expensive. Good for people with $$ who want to go boating without the headaches.
So like a timeshare....but with boats?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
After this week, I should be done with the real difficult stuff.....After that, the only grinding I will have to do will be regarding the rebuild.....I have to grind down the exterior of the hull to gelcoat, and grind down any imperfections to make things flush etc. After all that though.......I will not ever voluntarily go through this much grinding again.
Oh you will grind again but not without full ppe.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
there is a good chance the person that did the previous work may have used vynalester or some exotic resin , some of these can be deadly to the skin and lungs , there are no regulations when it comes to materials used in boat restoration , so it is what it is when it comes to de constructing old builds.
i have known epoxy to be very bad on some peoples skin or respiratory system. for that matter even some wood can cause skin irritation or breathing issues when grinding it,
hence the reason being extra vigilant with the use of PPC/E is a must when restoring old boats , you never know what material's were used in either manufacture or on previous restorations.

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought a Key Largo cc last fall and had the seat and console out of it a couple weeks ago to make some changes. I was about to cut out a section of floor when a flood of glass repair memories washed over me. Within 24 hours the boat was reassembled, advertised and gone down the road.
With my wee budget, I'll stick to my tin boat just to avoid the glass work old boats all seem to require.
While I admire your resolve to see it through, it's been a good reminder for me. In the end, you'll feel pride and get much enjoyment with your family out of it. Just keep the photo's lest you forget. :eek:

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
there is a good chance the person that did the previous work may have used vynalester or some exotic resin , some of these can be deadly to the skin and lungs , there are no regulations when it comes to materials used in boat restoration , so it is what it is when it comes to de constructing old builds.
i have known epoxy to be very bad on some peoples skin or respiratory system. for that matter even some wood can cause skin irritation or breathing issues when grinding it,
hence the reason being extra vigilant with the use of PPC/E is a must when restoring old boats , you never know what material's were used in either manufacture or on previous restorations.
I have learned my lesson. Add me to the list of poster children who advocate for use of proper ppe. LOL

TripleJGraffis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a Key Largo cc last fall and had the seat and console out of it a couple weeks ago to make some changes. I was about to cut out a section of floor when a flood of glass repair memories washed over me. Within 24 hours the boat was reassembled, advertised and gone down the road.
With my wee budget, I'll stick to my tin boat just to avoid the glass work old boats all seem to require.
While I admire your resolve to see it through, it's been a good reminder for me. In the end, you'll feel pride and get much enjoyment with your family out of it. Just keep the photo's lest you forget. :eek:
This has all been a really good learning experience for me, so I do not regret any of it regardless of the pain and inconvenience that it has caused thus far. I can say that I will never voluntarily do this much glass work again LOL. If anything, I will teach the next guy a thing or 2 and let them suffer through it🤣 I love the feeling of pride when I am done restoring old things. I know this boat isn't desirable and I could spend my money on a better one, but it just wouldn't be the same. People just can not understand the significance of the personal sentimentality that this build has on me. I have always been a loner and never popular. Always outcast....There are many times when I was given a 2nd chance at life both figuratively and literally...... Being able to find less than desirable things, and be able to give them a 2nd lease on life gives me such a great sense of accomplishment in my own life..

I feel like there could be a much better way to explain why I do not care about the amount of time, blood, sweat tears, energy and money that I put into a project that everyone else sees as a loss and a waste of time, but I can't quite find the right words. All I know is with each negative remark that I get about it, it just gives me that much more of a reason to follow through with it.....Going off on a tangent here....completely off topic from what you responded with......but I digress.

Sorry....rant over 🤣

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
This has all been a really good learning experience for me, so I do not regret any of it regardless of the pain and inconvenience that it has caused thus far. I can say that I will never voluntarily do this much glass work again LOL. If anything, I will teach the next guy a thing or 2 and let them suffer through it🤣 I love the feeling of pride when I am done restoring old things. I know this boat isn't desirable and I could spend my money on a better one, but it just wouldn't be the same. People just can not understand the significance of the personal sentimentality that this build has on me. I have always been a loner and never popular. Always outcast....There are many times when I was given a 2nd chance at life both figuratively and literally...... Being able to find less than desirable things, and be able to give them a 2nd lease on life gives me such a great sense of accomplishment in my own life..

I feel like there could be a much better way to explain why I do not care about the amount of time, blood, sweat tears, energy and money that I put into a project that everyone else sees as a loss and a waste of time, but I can't quite find the right words. All I know is with each negative remark that I get about it, it just gives me that much more of a reason to follow through with it.....Going off on a tangent here....completely off topic from what you responded with......but I digress.

Sorry....rant over 🤣
All this is the reason most of us ended up here, or at least me. Welcome to the club.