Boat recommendations for 70 hp Johnson??

gdavies07

Seaman Apprentice
I have a sweet, recently rebuilt 92 70 HP Johnson outboard. I am in the market looking for a new boat, center console or open boat. I mainly and mostly will use it for fishing bays and rivers, but would occasionally like to take it out further (within sight of land of course). I called on one 19' Mako center console and the seller said 70 wasn't enough but wanted to instead sell me an 18' Grady White Tournament project boat weighing 1900lbs dry. Another 19' Trophy owner said the 70hp would be perfect and that he had a 70 Suzuki on it and pushed it fine. I don't think I really want anything bigger than 18-19 ft, and I don't want to stress the motor or be grossly underpowered. I don't need to be the fastest boat out there. And I see quite a few 18-19's with 70-85 hp outboards, but I also see the same amount in the same size with 120-150 hp outboards too. I'm assuming its more weight than length so I think my question is what range of weight should I be looking at for boats with a 70 hp Johnson with (power trim & tilt if that matters for planing reasons).

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Boat recommendations for 70 hp Johnson??

You want a 15' to 17' boat, gd.

A Boston Whaler 15 or 17 from the 70s or 80s just loves a JohnnyRude 70 triple looper. The 1966 Boston Whaler Sakonnet 16' in my avatar is an early example.

Those 18'-19' are just too big.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I as going to suggest the 17' whaler. It will also do great on a 19' carolina skiff (I have a 50 on one). I also have a 70 johnson (second one) on a 17' key west, the bay boat design. If you go around 19' you need a flat bottom boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's the ideal motor for a 16' aluminum Starcraft.

imag0446.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

we used to have a 16' starcraft like yours--had two, actually--and had 55's on them, which did fine. I bet OP could go with an 18' tin with the 70.
Point is, shop for a lighter boat, or a flatter boat, to stretch your HP into a larger boat. avoid the ones with a second interior dropped in (like a Grady, or typical fiberglass bow rider).

PS your restoration looks great

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As far as just length how about something like these: Maritime 1890 18'6" 1300lbs 34 mph,
Carolina Skiff 178 17'2" DEEP hull 800lbs 39mph,Carolina Skiff 1765 16'11" 800 lbs 38mph,
Triumph 1700 17'8" 1750lbs,37mph appears shallow.
Don't know if any of these are good for open water or what kind of ride. I just looked for
length,depth and performance.These all had an Etec 75 on them.
Your 70 is about 240 lbs the Etec is about 320.So your ahead on weight.
I'm sure someome better acquainted with these can tell if they are appropriate.
The Maritime is described as an offshore.Others as Bay,flats.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the carolina skiffs are great boats. one of the hulls, the DLX I think, is like a whaler. The other, is flat flat flat.
Both are incredibly seaworthy and stable, light and cheap. The ride is that of a whaler or flats boat--bumpier than a deep V. Both are very dry despite that due to rolled gunwales/rails, although the flat one throws spray out front which can blow back in the right (wrong?) conditions. This, of course, it not a reason not to buy one, but just part of the deal. If it was that bad, they wouldn't be among the most popular boats for experienced boaters.

M

mrcrabs

15-16 ft, depending on location and use as to hull style, but I sure would like to try a boston whaler, I have a 70 on a 1969 160t marquis tri hull....safe and dependable just don't overload that 70, keep it in its rpm operating range and then ease back on the throttle a few hundred rpm for best GPH,

My experience they work best with a 2 man aluminum bass tracker bass type boat Also I have noiticed that most trackers are sinking the minute there put in the water....lol.......but I never saw a rivited boat that didn't leak after smacking a log or 2 in the Ohio river...lol....the hustler aluminum prop works great on the 70 but takes a bit of rpm out of it, my 2 cents you can't beat the husler 70hp j/E combo for speed in its class. Those big eared Solos props would work well on a push boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

A friend of mine has a 70 on a 16' jon and it always looks like it's sinking in the stern. defeats the purpose of a skinny water boat IMO

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I had a 70 rude on a 15' Kingfisher glass fishing boat....narrow for length and flat bottom at the stern. Texas boat, don't know where else they were sold. Boat ran out good till I jacked the engine up one notch (3/4" over the transom) and put a 21P SS prop on it and then it ran like a scalded ape. Kingfisher boats were pretty light boats and the flat bottom helped the hole shot and top end. I didn't have a tach or speedo, but I guarantee you your hair didn't get in your face and you had to keep your mouth shut to keep the bugs outta your teeth. Grin.

Mark

gdavies07

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I ended up purchasing a 19 Grady Trophy Dual console. 1850lbs dry weight. 40 gal tank so will be over 2k lbs. The 140 Evinrude has good compression and seems to run well. Do I keep the 70 Johnson for it as a back up motor or sell it? With th 70 having a brand new powerhead, carbs, and everything else gone through I hate to part with the motor unless theres not much of a choice. Would the 70 be a waste on this boat? Would it even make it over 30 mph? I'm not looking to go offshore. Just wanna head to the local saltwater & river fishing spots. But I don't want myself or my friends being unsafe out there with a grossly underpowered boat if that's what the 70 would lead to. That owner with the 19' Bayliner Trophy CC made me think it would be alright but now I'm having second thoughts.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think it would be really underpowered. That's literally double or more the weight of a 16' starcraft which it would push to about 35-38MPH.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You definitely want to keep the 140 on that boat. As I said, the 70 is good for flat light boats only in the 17-19 foot range. So don't put the 70 on it or keep it for a back-up for that boat.

If you have the room, hang on to the 70 for your second boat or an opportunity to sell it to a friend. Or price it high and take your time selling it. it's a popular motor.

It sounds like you got a good rig for your intended use; congratulations!

gdavies07

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. Thank you for your help. Its what I figured but I needed the reassurance just to make sure. I had bought it for an older MFG converted to a cc, but found the floors to be completely rotted. Very little storage and did not feel comfortable with myself and my 260 lbs fishing buddy both standing on one side while one pulled a fish in and the other netted it. Seemed like our weight or a wake would capsize it easily. The Grady seemed a lot safer for what I want a boat for. I got a great deal on both so I shouldn't have a problem finding a new home for the 70. Probably for double what I paid for it.

InMotion

Commander

I grew up with a late 80's 70 hp evinrude on a 16' fiberglass boat. Excellent motor. Never any trouble. We put a "power prop" --- lowered pitch prop the first year because with 5 adults in the boat it really struggled to plain the boat out. The boat itself weights approx. 1100 lbs. With a lowered pitch prop it ran about 33-34 mph vs 38-39 and would plain out comfortably with 6 adults in the boat. Also would pull multiple skiers. Really had to watch over revving though. But I agree with everyone above for the most part. 16-17 foot range tops for fiberglass and 16-18/19 foot range for alumumum boats. Enjoy the boat and fishing!