blowing out oil

HOMERFROMLAWTON

Recruit
I just bought a lehr 15 hp, runs on propane. It is a chinese engine but all parts enterchange with yamaha. When i got the engine it had no oil. someone had laid it on it's side and all the oil had ran out.

i bought a new filter and filled the oil to the top of the filler hole like you would do on a lawn mower.

then i found a dipstick to check the oil. i could not at the time figure out why there was a 1 pound bolt with nut taped on the filler tube. when i pull the dip stick out i had about a pint of oil run out of the hole.

i took the bolt off and stuck the dip stick back in.

the starter would not engage so i oiled the top of the starter and it started engaging.

but it blew the dipstick out of the hole and was blowing oil out of the dipstick hole.

Do i just need to get a new dipstick, or is there something else i need to look for.

i might add the engine had a lot sand on the outside of the engine. i would estimate i power washed about 8 ounces of sand off the engine by romving the covers.

it is just like the exhaust has no place to go. i have not followed thru, but could the exhaust be also filled with sand leaving the exhause no where to go except thru the oil stick pipe.

the engine is not locked and turns freely by hand or starter, but it seems like to pull rope is locked up.

i did pull both spark plugs and when i turned it over it still blows the oil stick out.

life would be so boring without strange things that defy common sense

fatlenny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A 4 stroke motor is much different than a 2 stroke as im sure you already know. 2 strokes use the pressure in the crank case to draw in the air, fuel/oil mixture as the piston moves up and down. Simply put, on a 4 stroke the crankcase is filled with oil to lubricate the lower moving parts. If the crankcase is sealed up tight, the pressure building from the piston moving up and down, added with the little bit of blow by you get by the piston rings, would cause oil to leak out where ever it was easiest to escape, like gaskets, seals, or out the dipstick tube. 4 strokes should have some kind of breather somewhere on the crankcase ventilated side of the motor. I am not familiar with this motor so I couldn't even start to guess where it is exactly at or what it looks like on your motor. (normal location is near the top, on the valve cover on most small and large 4 strokes) I suspect a faulty breather valve or it could be plugged up with something like the sand you mentioned. Worse case is your piston rings are so bad, causing so much blow by that the case can't vent fast enough, so it blows out the dipstick tube as that is the easiest place to release pressure. If your exhaust was plugged, and have good compression on this motor, I doubt you would be able to turn it over very well with the plugs in it. So since you still have this issue with no plugs in it, I suspect plugged or faulty crankcase vent. I hope this information helps you. Keep us updated what you find.

Last edited: