Best way to fill in old screw holes in the aluminum skin

JohnWI

Seaman
The P.O. had transducers or other stuff screwed into my transom area. Of course now they're just holes.

So what are the recomendations to fill these in? I believe they're all lower than the wooden section of the transom and most likely "backed" by the spray foam.

dozerII

Admiral
Re: Best way to fill in old screw holes in the aluminum skin

About the only way to do it if you don't have access to the inside, is use stainless steel screws with 3M 5200 to seal them, that is how most of us tackle the problem.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, that ^^^ or you could use rivets gooped with 5200. All the best!

VanderLaan

Seaman

About the only way to do it if you don't have access to the inside, is use stainless steel screws with 3M 5200 to seal them, that is how most of us tackle the problem.

And if you do have access to the inside? I ask, as the tops of my gunnels have snaps for a custom cover that will have to be removed and filled.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

And if you do have access to the inside? I ask, as the tops of my gunnels have snaps for a custom cover that will have to be removed and filled.

Pop rivets get the job done. If you want something more "finished" a piece of alum flashing on the back side, gooped up with JB Weld and JB on the front side too.

VanderLaan

Seaman

Pop rivets get the job done. If you want something more "finished" a piece of alum flashing on the back side, gooped up with JB Weld and JB on the front side too.

Thanks for the reply. I definitely want it to look "finished". I assume that I would use a ROS and some black sandpaper to smooth the JB Weld. Is there a better method for sanding?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

In my opinion the best way would be to have them welded up. I had a bunch of holes filled and my local guy was very reasonable.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Id go welding, second choise is 5200. Id get a punch double the size of the hole with a point on it....to center in the hole and i tap from the outside to slight bow the hole inward...( of course this is after I sanded to get a good finish for the 5200 to bite..

id use the aluminum foil on the inside after i applied some 5200 all around the hole on the inside then stick the foil over that to act like an anchor or wall, then I spread the outside with the 5200 leaving a slight mound and when i sanded smooth Id have a tapered fill that wont just be hanging on by a thin edge...as a flat hole would. if you leave it flat and sand it smooth. you could know the filler out with a tap of a pencil point!!!!!

you could leave it thicker and sand out further with the blend...but with paint, it would probably show as a high spot.

my third choice would be an aluminum closed end rivet with 5200 .

bob

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

My experience with sanding smooth 5200 is that it's super difficult! Maybe that's just me though:redface: