Best Outboard Today

All my past outboards we're 2 strokes and I never had any issues.

With 4 strokes of the day I joined every outboard group on Facebook. Big mistake.

Spend anytime reading in these groups and you will quickly begin to think about a boat with oars.

QUESTION:
What 90 or 115 hp outboard is worth owning these days?

I just want simple and reliability

Thank You

FLATHEAD

Commander
It’s like anything else. Everybody will have an different opinion on what’s best. Same as guns, bows, cars, trucks etc. As far as four stroke the only one I’ve owned is a Honda BF15 on a 14 foot tinny I run on HP restricted lakes. Been trouble free. Don’t help you much on search for 100 plus

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I personally own 4 Mercury 4-strokes. They have all been 100% flawless.

In my neighborhood there is one Honda dealer (idiot mechanics), one Yamaha (awesome guy but overloaded with customers), one Tohatsu (won't handle anything above 15 HP) and NONE of the other brands.

There are 15 Mercury dealers, most master mechanics.

Guess why I chose Mercury?

I'm not saying they are the "best", but if you want parts and service, that's where you go. If your only dealer sells brand XXX, but his.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Yamaha is probably the best selling Outboard, and they appear to be well engineered, same goes for Suzuki. In the 80s my Dealer sold Mercury and Suzuki. He offered me a very good deal on a Suzuki 140, when I was repowering my boat. I was hesitant because it was a Foreign brand, so went with Mercury. A couple of years later, I went to the Lake with several of the Dealership Employees, and several boats. The one I was towing was a bit bigger and heavier than my boat, but with that exact engine on it.When I was able to drive it on the water, I was really impressed by the Torque it had throughout the powerband. To this day I kind of regret not getting that Suzuki, but hindsight is always better than 20-20

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
All my past outboards we're 2 strokes and I never had any issues.

With 4 strokes of the day I joined every outboard group on Facebook. Big mistake.

Spend anytime reading in these groups and you will quickly begin to think about a boat with oars.

QUESTION:
What 90 or 115 hp outboard is worth owning these days?

I just want simple and reliability

Thank You
Without doubt and unequivocally…the Mercury 115 2.1l CT is the best engine that size. There is just simply no arguing or dispute around that. It’s the lightest and most powerful 115 on the market currently. Despite being a 2.1l engine. Quite simply…nothing comes close

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Just a wee video to show you how good these things are. I have a 2016 115. Had her since 18 hours. Now has 1100 and faultless. Pushes my 19ft cuddy to 45/46 mph gps. Shouldn’t…but does. The pro xs version is something else again.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
And just to be clear…I’ve always been a Yamaha and 2 stroke guy. Bought this boat with the 115 merc on it…simply because it was too good a deal not to. Had no idea or previous knowledge on the engine at the time. But since then…just literally astonished at the engine. Lighter than the 2 stroke. More powerful than the 125 optimax and then there is the fuel economy…just ridiculous.
Honestly…there is no other engine that size that comes anywhere near it.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Wow @QBhoy. You make me want to get a pair of those for the "next project".
Haha. Honestly. Joking aside. Asked me a few years ago on my opinion on 4 strokes…I’d have given the usual opinion about being heavy and lazy. Had no idea about these things. After having this thing by complete chance…just incredible. And it takes some doing to convert a man like me to them. Would never have believed it otherwise. That thing I have now will outperform the same sized generic ba
Wow @QBhoy. You make me want to get a pair of those for the "next project".
Honestly..wouldn’t have believed it otherwise. My 19ft will outperform a friends 19ft bayliner cuddy with a 4.3. Incredible engine