Best hitch protector?

Expidia

Commander
Crazy that it’s that bad where you go as far as theft. I feel bad for the extra worry you have to deal with. Sounds like you’re doing everything you possibly can to prevent an issue. I’ve traveled extensively coast to coast for many weeks on end several times on motorcycle. Stayed at tons of cheap motels in sketchy areas including New York and never had a single problem. Fully loaded bike with lots of “ stuff” on it. I suppose I can consider myself lucky.
The elephant in the room is and especially for those out in the boon docks is your being gaslighted thinking inflation is only 3.5% when most everything you touch is like double now a days. It's only going to get worse. Sadly this economy is making people desparate for jobs, gas and food to feed their families. With high inflation comes higher crime espeically in and around the larger cities and the farther south you travel the higher the crime rate. With warmer weather people tend to drive with their windows open and the windows on their houses open with just screens in them.

Before we book a hotel in a particular city, I just google the name of the city followed by demographics. I also do this when we drive back and forth to FL and have to stay 1 or 2 nights in different town or cities. Google maps etc does not alert you to high crime areas or how to route your way around them . . . it used too, but that feature was removed.

2 years ago we were staying overnight and I was googling for a decent restaurant around Lumberton, SC. I googled Lumberton demographics and it turns out Lumberton had the honor of holding the #1 spot being the "Murder Capital" of the U.S.
"Ummm no thanks, all of a sudden we were not that hungry anymore . . . Just keep driving".

Expidia

Commander
Re crime and theft. So many in the forum live in these nice quiet nd safe communities. I don't have that luxury living in the capital of NY. I also belong to a world wide e-bike forum. These bikes can run $1,000 to $15,000. They are being stolen all over the world, so much so many insurance companies refuse to insure them. On top of the fact the cheap Chinese imports tend to be the ones that catch on fire. Especially in cities where food delivery people overheat them.

No lock is secure for e-bikes and a battery angle grinder goes through any lock. True, it's a lot easier to steal an e-bike than a boat trailer, but I still secure both. My cash outlay today was $25 for that universal coupler lock.
I already had the boot for the past 17 years and the locking hitch pin off a bike rack I have for sale.

Expidia

Commander
Bulletin bulletin bulletin . . . this just in . . . One of the lakes we frequently boat is the 32 mile long pristine Lake George (known as the queen of American lakes). A major upstate NY tourist attraction.

My wife just told me someone last week even stole "the iconic sign" that welcomes people to the lake . . . ya crime is no problem!

airshot

Rear Admiral
Bulletin bulletin bulletin . . . this just in . . . One of the lakes we frequently boat is the 32 mile long pristine Lake George (known as the queen of American lakes). A major upstate NY tourist attraction.

My wife just told me someone last week even stole "the iconic sign" that welcomes people to the lake . . . ya crime is no problem!

What you describe is why I choose to live where I do and why I watch where I travel to. When we traveled with ATV and boat trailers, along with locks, we used security systems...portable add on units that can alert you if someone messes with your stuff ! I have no problem confronting them, always prepared because police take way to long to get there. Simple security systems send most criminals running........

briangcc

Commander
Well if we're going for extremes...

Park the rig, get an excavator, dig a moat around the rig, fill with water & gators, then surround that with razor wire.

Seems like we've taken the fun out of boating and made it into a job...which is not why I launch my boat in the first place.

To each their own.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Always have carried insurance. Cheapest thing you can buy for boat protection.
When your trailer has been stolen, and your $60,000 boat is tied up to the launch ramp dock, and you probably cannot find a trailer locally that you can buy on a Sunday afternoon, your insurance won't do you any good right now. (maybe later, though)

I have been boating in Western NY for 58 years and have always had an armored hitch lock. Nevertheless, trailers have been stolen from my local ramp many times. None had locks.

Expidia

Commander
First splash down of the season. Launched on the Hudson River. But their NY State newly re-done parking lot is down to like only 10 or 12 tow vehicle spaces. Another dozen regular car spaces. It's striper season right now.

So I had to uncouple and take two spaces.
Just received that red Master lock hitch protector the day before.
Already have used the boot for 17 years now even when the trailer is hitched to the SUV since the trailer hitch lock can be broken with just the twist of a rod or screwdriver. Trailer wheels are new and I put a bolt lock on each.

Sure a whack with a hammer will pop them but, odds are they will just move onto the next unprotected trailer.

That premium crank in the pic also has the bolts tack welded.

So for better security that new Master lock hitch protector is only 1 more key added to my key chain. And that red color might stop some clown from backing into my trailer.

Pic also shows how small my trailer is which the thieves like to steal over the bigger trailers. Like I said, they throw a board on them and use them as utility trailers.

IMG_5518.jpeg

airshot

Rear Admiral
Smaller trailers look me that are just thrown onto a flatbed trailer and taken somewhere else to remove the locks. Two guys can pick one up... Not sure where you boat at, but .....that is a lot of security to go thru....isn't there a more friendly place to go boating ?? Been a trailer boater for over 60 years and the only things stolen were a spare tire and a license plate.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Eons ago my ramp was free. Hard to get a parking spot on a Sunday. Even though it's in a good neighborhood, there was occasional theft.

I have always padlocked the coupler and drawbar. I never had a problem. Those that did have theft simply did not use common sense.

Now, there is a $30 fee for an annual sticker. The ramp has little use, because there are free ones not far away, and if caught its a $50 fine.

The advantage of the fee is that now the police drive thru once in awhile and ticket those trailers without sticker. With the popo lurking theft has dropped significantly.

I happily pay the fee.

Expidia

Commander
Smaller trailers look me that are just thrown onto a flatbed trailer and taken somewhere else to remove the locks. Two guys can pick one up... Not sure where you boat at, but .....that is a lot of security to go thru....isn't there a more friendly place to go boating ?? Been a trailer boater for over 60 years and the only things stolen were a spare tire and a license plate.
Nice to be sop trusting of people. My brother in law owned several large boats all docked at marinas south of Boston. He taught me that just because you are in a paid marina doesn’t mean their security is good.
I remember one of his early boats a 36 foot Trojan being ripped off of all his electronics twice!
Myself, I have my electronics unpluggable. My Raymarine comes off with unhooking just one plug. My Sirius radio face pops off, My VHF radio is under the dash but the mic has the controls in it and pops off with one plug.
Then I keep them al;l in a waterproof Pelican case in my car which I bring ionto our hotel room. If we go to dinner I put the case back in my trunk.

I park my rig in a garage across the street from my house in a row of 12 garages. Last year one of the renters (a contractor) asked me if I saw anyone steal “all” his power tools out of the garage 4 doors away from mine.

As I said in an earlier post that crime is going to get even worse as inflation rises. Doesn’t take much effort to protect your stuff.

And the closer you live near a large city the worse it is.
When I grew up in a town touching Boston I never even owned a key to my parents house as a kid Our back door was always unlocked even while we slept. In hindsight today, try that one out 🙀

Unless you live in the boonies crime is only getting worse as inflation rises.
Google population demographics in any town especially one near a big city and read how high the theft rate is and rising.

How about the growing smash and grab incidents? Forcing stores to close.
Then they sell their stolen goods on Ebay etc.
If they get caught, they know they will be back on the streets the same day.

It’s a different world now crimewise. Sorry, I just don’t trust people anymore. So I lock my stuff up, even it takes me a few more minutes..

Expidia

Commander
Eons ago my ramp was free. Hard to get a parking spot on a Sunday. Even though it's in a good neighborhood, there was occasional theft.

I have always padlocked the coupler and drawbar. I never had a problem. Those that did have theft simply did not use common sense.

Now, there is a $30 fee for an annual sticker. The ramp has little use, because there are free ones not far away, and if caught its a $50 fine.

The advantage of the fee is that now the police drive thru once in awhile and ticket those trailers without sticker. With the popo lurking theft has dropped significantly.

I happily pay the fee.
“I have always padlocked the coupler and drawbar. I never had a problem. Those that did have theft simply did not use common sense”

You used magic words: “did not use common sense” 😜

airshot

Rear Admiral
Crime is rampant because the penalties are gone. Very few criminals serve any real penalties, most are plea bargained down for a hand slap only. I live in an area where crime is very light, we all work together to watch out and help each other. I have friends that live in higher crime areas, many have silent alarms installed that notifies them on there phone when a breakin occurs. The neighbors handle things themselves and turn criminals over to police after. People need to start learning to take care of themselves as police are at least 5 minutes away and most crime is over in 2-3 minutes !
Police are most always to late. 78% of crime in the US is by repeat offenders and over 50% of that number are three peat offenders !! Gotta do what ever we can to protect our belongings and see it thru that criminals are penalized !!

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Where do you guys live?

Heck, we don’t bother to lock our car doors let alone chain the wheels together........lol
Half the time, I forget to take the keys out of my truck at night! My wallet is usually in the center console too. My garage has never been locked.

Expidia

Commander
Half the time, I forget to take the keys out of my truck at night! My wallet is usually in the center console too. My garage has never been locked.
I guess you are just an insurance companies dream 🤣

Expidia

Commander
Crime is rampant because the penalties are gone. Very few criminals serve any real penalties, most are plea bargained down for a hand slap only. I live in an area where crime is very light, we all work together to watch out and help each other. I have friends that live in higher crime areas, many have silent alarms installed that notifies them on there phone when a breakin occurs. The neighbors handle things themselves and turn criminals over to police after. People need to start learning to take care of themselves as police are at least 5 minutes away and most crime is over in 2-3 minutes !
Police are most always to late. 78% of crime in the US is by repeat offenders and over 50% of that number are three peat offenders !! Gotta do what ever we can to protect our belongings and see it thru that criminals are penalized !!
Exactly, I of course would have said many of your words earlier, but did not as if a thread gets political they stop comments or delete it.

You get what you vote for. I don't care if gas goes to $20 a gal. My rig uses a 6.5 gal portable gas tank, so I'm not stuck with marina gas prices and can go all day with it for $25 at $3.85 a gal. Or use the Minn Kota for just trolling around. Plus being retired a bonus is I probably only fill my SUV up maybe once a month now 👍🏻
We average 25 days out on the water each season.

I expect this year to once again see most not using their boats. We will see a lot of boats just sitting in their slips again as we cruise around. Or they drive a mile away from their docks, raft and drink all day.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Exactly, I of course would have said many of your words earlier, but did not as if a thread gets political they stop comments or delete it.

You get what you vote for. I don't care if gas goes to $20 a gal. My rig uses a 6.5 gal portable gas tank, so I'm not stuck with marina gas prices and can go all day with it for $25 at $3.85 a gal. Or use the Minn Kota for just trolling around. Plus being retired a bonus is I probably only fill my SUV up maybe once a month now 👍🏻
We average 25 days out on the water each season.

I expect this year to once again see most not using their boats. We will see a lot of boats just sitting in their slips again as we cruise around. Or they drive a mile away from their docks, raft and drink all day.
I am in the same situation your in, retired, my boat is economical to operate and just enjoy being on the water. I take my precautions with locking my stuff but also watch where I go and what type of area I am in. There are closer, larger, and busier ramps but also have higher crime rates. The ramps I typically use are more out of the way, outside the more rundown areas, there are people nearby that pay attention ! Best part is, the ramp can be a little tricky to back into, so it keeps the inexperienced trailer backers away, so we rarely have a newbie there.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I guess you are just an insurance companies dream 🤣
Probably, but my area is pretty safe. I really wouldn't want to live in an area where I have to go to the extremes that you seem to just not to get robbed.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have lived in a 98% safe community since 1974. Have not had any problem whatsoever. However, when I built my house I equipped it with a security system that alerts me even if the sump pump overflows. Security is simply feeling secure.

Back in the 1960's when I was in college, I had my car broken into twice. Both times I was only away from it for a few minutes. The crooks work fast. Of course, insurance paid most of it.

In 1971 I got a carry permit and have been protecting myself ever since. No problems so far, but I am prepared. I don't do warning shots. I have factory ammo and I am trained. If I am ever accosted the perpetrator won't sue me. Maybe his heirs, but he won't be around, nor have a second chance to accost someone else.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have lived in a 98% safe community since 1974. Have not had any problem whatsoever. However, when I built my house I equipped it with a security system that alerts me even if the sump pump overflows. Security is simply feeling secure.

Back in the 1960's when I was in college, I had my car broken into twice. Both times I was only away from it for a few minutes. The crooks work fast. Of course, insurance paid most of it.

In 1971 I got a carry permit and have been protecting myself ever since. No problems so far, but I am prepared. I don't do warning shots. I have factory ammo and I am trained. If I am ever accosted the perpetrator won't sue me. Maybe his heirs, but he won't be around, nor have a second chance to accost someone else.
Up here in Canada, I would just as likely end up in jail if I used a gun in self defense! Esp if the other person turned out to be unarmed.