Best hitch protector?

Expidia

Commander
Make sure you have decent insurance with a low deductable. Unless you have a really high dollar boat, insurance is cheap. My boat is valued at 6K total then broken down by hull, motor, trailer values. Total coverage is less than a hundred bucks a year with a 250 deductable.
Always have carried insurance. Cheapest thing you can buy for boat protection.

Expidia

Commander
So do I...WNY here. I launch at state parks which are DEC patrolled. I venture up into 1000 Islands and do the same there. Have yet to hear of anyone losing a trailer to theft.

BTW: You sure you want to put a lock on that prop? Cause replacing a lower unit due to a thief hammering off that lock doesn't sound like fun. Actually sounds a lot more expensive proposition.
Props are the easiest thing to steal. Just remove the cotter pin and remove the prop nut (they are usually just hand tight to line up with the cotter pin hole in the shaft) with just a pair of pliers and poof . . . $250 prop gone.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Have you been robbed at the launch before? Maybe talk to some others that park their trailers in the same lots. Might get some good ideas. As a master locksmith I can confidently tell you any lock can be defeated easier than you think, locks that have shackles that fit through a hitch latch are pretty much child’s play for a thief. The discus lock shown would definitely be pry proof. But the trailer latch itself is weak.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Luggage tags are readily available today, easy to hide and gives a good chance of recovery and an arrest..

Expidia

Commander
Luggage tags are readily available today, easy to hide and gives a good chance of recovery and an arrest.≥.÷/≤≥.l/
I have them on my ebikes and luggage but I need potential prevention BEFORE stuff is gone. Tracking is useless after the fact when you get back to a launch and boat is at the dock and your trailer is gone. Watching it traveling down the road on your phone is not as good as taking security measures beforehand Which could have made the thieves move onto the next rig.

I have a bolt lock on my outboard, bolt locks on my trailer tires (new tires), I use a trailer boot lock and bolt locks all around on my SUV (New tires)

My weak point is the cheapo brass padlock on my coupler.

I mention new tires as If I were a thief I’d walk past the rusty trailers or trailers or tow vehicles with worn tires. So that’s always a good way to protect yourself as I see plenty of these 🤣

I’m surprised that so many comments here don’t care or don’t want to spend the money on a few inexpensive security measures. But then post the “someone stole my new Honda trolling motor off the back of my boat last night” (Yep, the one without a motor lock on it).

I’ve used a similar trailer boot that I bought back in 2007 when I bought my rig, still $30 even 17 years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpeg
    IMG_0911.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 4

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Where do you guys live?

Heck, we don’t bother to lock our car doors let alone chain the wheels together........lol

Reactions: KJM

Expidia

Commander
Where do you guys live?

Heck, we don’t bother to lock our car doors let alone chain the wheels together........lol
Please post a pic of your vehicle! I’d like to see if I’d walk by it as a thief if I’d botther to see if you left it unlocked 🤣. I live in NY probably not considered the safest state in the country.

Expidia

Commander
Have you been robbed at the launch before? Maybe talk to some others that park their trailers in the same lots. Might get some good ideas. As a master locksmith I can confidently tell you any lock can be defeated easier than you think, locks that have shackles that fit through a hitch latch are pretty much child’s play for a thief. The discus lock shown would definitely be pry proof. But the trailer latch itself is weak.
We trailer our rig around probably twice a week to any one of 10 different launches along the Hudson River, Mohawk River, Lake George and the 123 mile long Lake Champlain (which has many state launches on both the NY and Vermont sides).

Over the 50 years I’ve lived in upstate NY Textiles used to be huge and as that manufacturing flowed to China and other underdeveloped countries it left many of the towns along the rivers very poor and sadly these are not areas you want to walk around at night anymore. And most of the launch sites are in these towns with very low employment.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Where do you guys live?

I’m with ya. There are occasional problems, very rare at the ramp parking area of the places I go but nothing to be as paranoid as the OP. We had PETA members let air out of trailer tires a while back. I don’t think I could enjoy boating if I had worry about thieves every trip.

briangcc

Commander
Where do you guys live?

Western New York...same state as OP. And I don't have anywhere near the paranoia. My tow rig is in my signature.

There's taking reasonable precautions, like using a padlock on the coupler (if applicable). In all my years of boating, and that's since the early 80's, I've NEVER, EVER seen anyone boot their trailer OR running a chain through the tires. I've yet to see anyone lose their trailer...that's in WNY, 1000 Islands and even trips into the Great White North (Oh Canada!).

Going to all those lengths...do you even get onto the boat?

It really comes back to....if you're worried that much, find a better ramp. There's loads of them in NY that are State launches, most require you to pay to gain entry. Very good ramps to boot.

flashback

Captain
Stop by your local HF store, pic up a racing jack. Jack stand, and electric impact driver.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
We trailer our rig around probably twice a week to any one of 10 different launches along the Hudson River, Mohawk River, Lake George and the 123 mile long Lake Champlain (which has many state launches on both the NY and Vermont sides).
Well versed with the area....oldest lives in Waterford
Please post a pic of your vehicle! I’d like to see if I’d walk by it as a thief if I’d botther to see if you left it unlocked 🤣. I live in NY probably not considered the safest state in the country.
2010 Civic EX-L Couple, 5 speed
Have a bunch of kids (nephews) with "first dibs"on it.
They have to learn stick first......lol

Expidia

Commander
Western New York...same state as OP. And I don't have anywhere near the paranoia. My tow rig is in my signature.

There's taking reasonable precautions, like using a padlock on the coupler (if applicable). In all my years of boating, and that's since the early 80's, I've NEVER, EVER seen anyone boot their trailer OR running a chain through the tires. I've yet to see anyone lose their trailer...that's in WNY, 1000 Islands and even trips into the Great White North (Oh Canada!).

Going to all those lengths...do you even get onto the boat?

It really comes back to....if you're worried that much, find a better ramp. There's loads of them in NY that are State launches, most require you to pay to gain entry. Very good ramps to boot.
Ya it takes me 30 seconds each trip to put the boot on and off . . . You do you 👍🏻

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have locks on all my stuff as well, motor lock, spare tire lock, hitch locks, security system on tow vehicle etc. Everything within reason I can do....do I loose sleep over it....nope, just part of life and I do carry good insurance so I ultimately get things replaced. Have I been robbed before....yes, my own barn was broke into and atv's were stolen. Pissed me off of course, but I did have the pleasure of catching them.....

Expidia

Commander
I have locks on all my stuff as well, motor lock, spare tire lock, hitch locks, security system on tow vehicle etc. Everything within reason I can do....do I loose sleep over it....nope, just part of life and I do carry good insurance so I ultimately get things replaced. Have I been robbed before....yes, my own barn was broke into and atv's were stolen. Pissed me off of course, but I did have the pleasure of catching them.....
Wow, you are like the first commentor to my original question that "actually cares about security here" 👍🏻

A lackadaisical attitude on boating security furthers the thieves knowing a quiet boat launch parking lot or a hotel after boating is easy pickings. Worse, is insurance policies carry usually a $500 to 1000 deductible.

I how many boaters would even say something to perps grinding away at someone elses trailer rig. Me personally, I would not walk up to them, I would stand away at a distance but close to my SUV and making sure they saw me while I was calling 911.

I ordered this Master lock for when my trailer is uncoupled. Only ($25) is for when we stay at hotels sometimes for 2-3 days near a particular lake or river. On the Amazon reviews the weak point of the lesser brands of this style is the lock itself is too easy to open or the lock jams up.
If it's not good than Amazon has free returns.

I can stay with the one I have now for the latch as I realized I installed a break away coupler to fit my rig in the garage when I first set up the rig. The break away part has heavy beefy holes, so I might be able to use a long locking hitch pin that I still have from a bike rack I sold.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-03 at 6.11.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-03 at 6.11.54 AM.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 4

Expidia

Commander
@dingbat Re Waterford. I do a round trip from Albany to Waterford frequently on my e-bike. It's a 32 mile round trip that follows the Mohawk Hudson River bike trail the whole trip and it ends in Waterford for me. Right now there are hundreds of boats along the way on the river as it's the start of Striper season. From Waterford, I think this route continues 300 miles west to Buffalo and beyond. But I'm good with the 32 miles 😜. I'll do this trip today as it will be 73 and no rain. Here is a pic taken from the bridge overlooking the Waterford Marina and on the left is the last lock of the Mohawk River. Waterford as you know is the confluence of the Mohawk River and the Hudson River. That Waterford Marina is a popular overnight for boats coming up north from FL on the Hudson then going 300 miles following all the locks on the old Erie canal route out to Lake Ontario.

Attachments

• IMG_0804.jpeg
    IMG_0804.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4

FLATHEAD

Captain
Crazy that it’s that bad where you go as far as theft. I feel bad for the extra worry you have to deal with. Sounds like you’re doing everything you possibly can to prevent an issue. I’ve traveled extensively coast to coast for many weeks on end several times on motorcycle. Stayed at tons of cheap motels in sketchy areas including New York and never had a single problem. Fully loaded bike with lots of “ stuff” on it. I suppose I can consider myself lucky.

Attachments

• IMG_4233.jpeg
    IMG_4233.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

Expidia

Commander
Update: That lockable hitch pin lock that I had does work great in the coupler pin hole. Used along with my red wheel boot and the Master Universal coupler lock these are the security items I'll use when I need to leave my trailer unattended especially over night at hotels.

It's not the large average trailer that most people need to worry about (unless you live on the FL coast where they steal lower units off boats while boats are out of the water on a lift behind your house!

It's the smaller utility trailers like mine that are stolen for Jet Skis, dirt bikes etc.

For the poster that asked what size is the latch hole it's 5/16th (very small). I could drill it a little bigger for a stronger lock maybe 3/8th. 7/16th would be pushing it. I just need a beefier lock than the thin shackle one I've been using.

And for those who commented "I'm over thinking security" I just hope I'm parked next to you 😝😝😝

IMG_5391.jpegScreen Shot 2024-05-03 at 8.52.32 AM.png

Attachments

• IMG_5385 2.jpeg
    IMG_5385 2.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 3

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Here is a pic taken from the bridge overlooking the Waterford Marina and on the left is the last lock of the Mohawk River. Waterford as you know is the confluence of the Mohawk River and the Hudson
Know it well.
Attended the Waterford Canal festival while visiting last May

Then headed up to Bye-I Brewery in Cohoes afterward. Great beer