Best boat trailer lights

HTG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been having a lot of trouble with my trailer lights and I'm thinking about putting on one of the new waterproof LED trailer lights. Just wondering which are the most durable trailer lights?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
which are the most durable trailer lights?

The ones that are encased in a steel cage so I don't smash them with the riding lawnmower..

I've got optronic on one trailer, Wesbar on another, and cheap Peterson on a third.
They have all been in use for between 8 and 11 years, no issues.
Key to making lights function for many years is in the wiring.

Don't use the trailer as the ground. ! ! !

And don't use the hitch to ground the trailer to the tow vehicle. ! !

Run a ground wire from each light, connect it to the ground wire in the wiring harness connector. Use good wire 16-18 gauge. Not 20 or 22 gauge.

All connections should be coated, some use die-electric grease which is non-conductive.
I prefer to use OX-Gard, anti oxidant grease, that prevents corrosion BUT IS CONDUCTIVE.

shopping

Some people prefer to solder all connections.

After connections are made, they should be shrink wrapped with heat shrink tubing.
And all wires should be secured to prevent abrasions.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
this brand is very good:
I put a set on in 2015 and have not had to touch them since. Just make sure your connections are good.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
any led just fill them with potting compound also any splice needs to be sealed or water will travel the copper line and wind up in the lights i learned about potting the lights and wire splices from swimming pool lights you can use table top epoxy to fill the led lights it will work well to waterproof them

I rewired my entire trailer this winter.

All lights are LED waterproof fixtures, I ran dedicated grounds for the entire trailer to every fixture, and every connection is soldered, coated in liquid electrical tape, and then finally heat shrink wrapped. The trailer to vehicle connection is also new, and the exposed wiring has cable sleeve on it, and has a grommet on the hole. Any location where wires pass through holes in the frame to the outside is sleeved as well (fender lights for example).

I've dunked the trailer for 15 minutes with the lights on and they still work just fine now.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use the trailer as a ground but I bet my connection doesn't look like most people's! it has a dedicated hole with a stainless steel screw with a heat shrinked ring connector and then painted over so that it's water tight. No soldering unless you absolutely have to. Heat shrink crimps only.

I also only use waterproof LED lights.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Many say that a ground wire is needed to each light. I never did that. Maybe I should have.

Nevertheless, I have had several trailers equipped with OEM Wesbar bell jar lights. The last one was 35 years old and I never replaced a bulb.

Other trailers with "water proof" lights last only 4-5 years and then the bulbs are shot.

Currently I use LED lights and so far it looks like they will last many, many years.

My Spring regimen is to back my towcar up to each trailer and check the lights (required for the State inspection). I admit that they are slightly dim, but all work fine.

When I actually hook them up and go driving, they are now bright. Maybe my greased balls are effective, or maybe my grounds on the cars and trailers are perfect (because I made them that way). I dunno. Als I DO know is that I haven't had a light problem in more years than I can count.

rustybronco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The connections on all my trailers are soldered, coated with non acidic RTV and encased in shrink tube.

The lights on the boat trailers are a combination of Optronics, Wesbar and Grote.