Bayliner 180 BR - 115hp Mercury Outboard - Plane issues

CaptnO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 2017 Bayliner 180 BR equipped with a 115hp 4 Stroke Mercury engine. I am trying to see if I have a prop issue or possible outdrive issue or something else which is not allowing me to get on plane.

My current Prop setup is the following - Mercury Spitfire 12.5 x 19P 8M8026600
By Myself 240lb I was able to get on plane fairly quick and reach a top speed of 36mph at 5250 RPMS

I did another test with 6 passengers and myself and I couldn't get passed 15mph and it took a while to get from 10mph -15mph as well. I believe I didn't get past 4k rpms as well. I feel like the issue is always under load. I remember this issue didn't happen last season and I could get on plane without any issues. I am not sure what Prop I was running at that time either.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Sure your motor is running at its peak ?? Water logged foam in boat hull ? Not sure it sounds like a prop issue to me. What is max RPM rating from mfgr.

CaptnO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I don't think the Bayliners have foam in the boat hull. will need to verify that. RPM Range for my engine is 5000-6000. So I thinking of going down to 17p or even 15p and test that so I can be at the higher range with just me in it. Therefore when I add passengers it should go down some.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I don't think the Bayliners have foam in the boat hull. will need to verify that. RPM Range for my engine is 5000-6000. So I thinking of going down to 17p or even 15p and test that so I can be at the higher range with just me in it. Therefore when I add passengers it should go down some.
Yep...that is what I do, adjust the pitch until I get max rpm with just me. When passengers are added you should still get decent performance. When my kids were at home, I often swapped my spare prop ( 2" less pitch) when ever they took friends along to play on water toys.