AQ280 y pipe fitment

Sapper13

Recruit
I’ve recently brought on a project boat…..again. The boat had a Volvo Penta straight 6 and 280 drive. I’ve pulled it out and am installing a AQ225 that I pulled from my last boat project boat that also had a 280 drive. One speed bump I’ve ran into is the stringers are too narrow to fit the y pipe. I was looking at notching out the stringers but by the time I do there won’t be much stronger left. Has anyone had any luck fabricating a narrower y pipe? Or maybe just a tee type y pipe and then just run flexible exhaust hose to it? Or having the exhaust exist through the transom instead of going though the leg? I’ve attached a picture showing the area.

Attachments

• IMG_5996.jpeg
    IMG_5996.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5993.jpeg
    IMG_5993.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9

Bondo

Staff member
One speed bump I’ve ran into is the stringers are too narrow to fit the y pipe. I was looking at notching out the stringers but by the time I do there won’t be much stronger left.
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... When presented with this problem, I chouse to build a slightly wider engine bed,.....
I cut out the stringers out, 'n built / glassed in a new box with a header to tie the original string ends, into the new stringers,.....

More space around the motor is always a Big plus in my book,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Could always run thru-hulls

I would modify the stringers