Anything newer with a footprint about the same size as a Merc 165?

RichBolduc

Recruit
I have an old Stama with twin 165's that I'm thinking about repowering. Is there anything newer that has roughly the same dimensions that I could fit in to the engine compartment? I really don't want to have to rebuild a transom and would like to go to a newer, more fuel efficient motor.

Thanks,
Rich

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Anything newer with a footprint about the same size as a Merc 165?

I have an old Stama with twin 165's that I'm thinking about repowering. Is there anything newer that has roughly the same dimensions that I could fit in to the engine compartment? I really don't want to have to rebuild a transom and would like to go to a newer, more fuel efficient motor.

Thanks,
Rich

Ayuh,.... The 165hp, I4, or I6,..??

Either way, the answer is pretty much No, as In-line motors are now limited to the 3.0l, I4...

Goin' to a V-motor will require spreading the outdrive further apart...

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

measure center to center of the existing engines/drives. If there is more than 36", you can put two V6's in there. It'll be tight to access middle spark plugs though, and you'll want a remote filter on the starboard engine..
if there's 40 inches, no problem.

RichBolduc

Recruit

Yeah it's the inline 6's I have.

I'll measure the difference between the two... 36" might be close... I was thinking of possibly going with a newer 4 cylinder because they seem to have the same hp if not more than the old 165's.

Another thing I was tossing around the idea of was a diesel conversion.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I was thinking of possibly going with a newer 4 cylinder because they seem to have the same hp if not more than the old 165's.
I haven't seen any new 4 cylinders that have more than 150HP... and that would be the fuel injected units ($$)

Alumarine

Captain

I don't think they will have the same torque.
Boating and fuel efficiency is an oxymoron.

RichBolduc

Recruit

So it's sounding unless I can cram in a couple of the new mercury 4.3L, then I'm better off just doing a total rebuild of the inline 6's?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

So it's sounding unless I can cram in a couple of the new mercury 4.3L, then I'm better off just doing a total rebuild of the inline 6's?

I'd stick with them. There's a ton of reasons that they're better but the only one you need to consider is how well they've already proven themselves. Just a little trivia, the inline 6 cylinder engine is the closest thing to a perfect engine design. Not to mention, the rebuild is cheap.