Anyone replaced the transom on 1978 SS160?

wasilvers

Cadet
I have a 1978 Sea Nymph 16 foot boat. I can see the wood in the transom and some areas around the holes are weak. It looks like a 2 x 12 was put in there, not plywood. Does anyone have any tips for me? How long should it take? It is not sandwiched between two sheets of aluminum like some of the other ones I read about. I think it might be easy (famous last words), just pull up the back deck a bit, remove the corner 'wraps' and remove all the bolts and slide the wood out - but I've never done any of that before.

It's still solid enough for my 40 at WOT, or feels that way, but I'm thinking of getting a newer motor and thought it would be nice to replace this first.

Any tips you have would be appreciated!

Will
:)

wasilvers

Cadet
Re: Anyone replaced the transom on 1978 SS160?

I did find this in the completed projects section of iboats. It is basically my boat, just a much newer model.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=252410

With that thread, I started with an end cap just to see how hard it would be. The endcaps are screwed on so that was no problem. Then I removed the back deck as it was only attached on one side (by the storage unit) with 3 bolts - it lifted right out. The metal cap/cover for the transom is nailed with small nails on the sides. These popped off with a screwdriver. I had the powerhead off the motor so the body was easy enough to remove. It is 2 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood. It is a good thing I took it off because around the motor area i can dig the old wood out with my fingers.:(

So now I am at the point of removing the bottom channel and then the wood itself. I don't know if it is bonded to the aluminum or not, if not, then removal will be easy, if it is, then I'll be busy all weekend.

I bought a sheet of marine plywood for $99.49 from Alpine Lumber in town and will need some epoxy to seal it. It took me all of 2 hours to get to this point - all of it working in under the porchlight - might have been faster in the daylight.

I'll try to post some pictures for the next guy.

Will