Any Transom experts here. I have a Transom Rebuilding Question.

Chris51280

Ensign
if you look at the bolts, it's perpendicular to the transom face. Many used drilling jigs. If you have a drill press, you can drill a hole into a block of wood and use that to guide the drill. since you already have the holes in the fiberglass, use that as a locator. the holes are bigger so it allows some clearance for the assembly to be fitted on. I also coated the inside of the holes with resin to seal.

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
if you look at the bolts, it's perpendicular to the transom face. Many used drilling jigs. If you have a drill press, you can drill a hole into a block of wood and use that to guide the drill. since you already have the holes in the fiberglass, use that as a locator. the holes are bigger so it allows some clearance for the assembly to be fitted on. I also coated the inside of the holes with resin to seal.

Thanks for all the responses.

I do have a drill press, but my question is what's the angle, A 90 degree angle seems odd in what I've researched. Is it 90 degrees?

Chris51280

Ensign
Well, what angle are the studs coming out of the housing that go thru the transom to the inside?

Yes, 90 degrees from the transom face is perpendicular.

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, after it's all sanded out, Do I fiberglass the new transom plywood before I install it, and do I cut out the bowling pin before I fiberglass it. I only have a small section to do, its maybe 3 feet wide by 3.5 feet in height, Photo below.
Your thoughts.

20240427_114422.jpgScreenshot_20240430_130014_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
24 hours is plenty. In reality, overnight would probably be sufficient as long as you’re not stressing it too much.

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
One of the members suggest I put a good coat of chopstran fiberglass with resin on this bare transom first, prior to putting the new transom in with the peanut butter mix.

I also thought it to be a good idea, and if so should I cover over the bowling pin cutout and the bolt holes also with the chopstran and later trim it out? Your thoughts?

Screenshot_20240430_130014_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Chris51280

Ensign
If you use peanut butter with the 1/4 chop strand, it will fill all the voids sandwiching it with the plywood. The csm will not go into all the uneven surfaces. It will not even add much strength.
I would however clean the outside up a bit more so the 1708 wrapping around has something to grab to. not the gelcoat

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
If you're worried about strength, CSM won't add much anyway. You'd want to add a layer or two of 1708.

Personally, I would not bother. I would do as @Chris51280 suggests, though, and make sure the area around the transom is ground free of gelcoat, so that your tabbing has a good layer of pink fiberglass to which to adhere.

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
Question- When notching out the steering swing on the new transom, what's the best way to do it exactly? Is there a template I can use etc. Am I going in on an angle with a keyhole saw? I'm confused... The second image shows the area I need to focus on that's circled in red.

PS- Can anybody post a photo on how it should look before the transom mount is put on. Screenshot_20240506_182749_Adobe Acrobat.jpgScreenshot_20240507_145505_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: