Another winterization question

hugh g

Petty Officer 1st Class
A lot of people do not understand the benefit of filling the block with antifreeze. They think it unnecessary.....well it is, if you are positive you got all the water out of the block. So, do you feel lucky?
I never did. Lol. I drained & filled my 3.0 Cobra with AF every fall & in over 20 years never had an issue with freeze up or corrosion. I live in snow country & wind chill temps at night can drop to -25 or even lower.

ahicks

Captain
Yep air doesn't freeze.....but rust never sleeps....
I think that may depend on whether the rust is in a motor run in salt water or one run in fresh water. There are some REALLY old fresh water engines that have never had a rust/corrosion issues. I doubt anyone would say that about an engine run in salt water.

ahicks

Captain
I never did. Lol. I drained & filled my 3.0 Cobra with AF every fall & in over 20 years never had an issue with freeze up or corrosion. I live in snow country & wind chill temps at night can drop to -25 or even lower.
I think you might be surprised at what might happen if it hits -40. It's never happened to me, but I know it's happened to others further north.....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
-100 burst rated AF is liquid down to about -55. And there is a -200 as well…

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
"Wind chill" is a "feels like" number based on the rate that
heat is dissipated .
Inanimate objects don't feel.
Once an object reaches the actual temperature, wind, or wind chill no longer affects it. It can only get as cold as the actual temperature of the air.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
-100 burst rated AF is liquid down to about -55. And there is a -200 as well…
Thats just ridiculous.
Where on this earth ( third rock from the sun ) would you ever need -200* anti freeze?

Reactions: KJM

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That’s burst temp not freeze temp. If there was no need they wouldn’t make it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
That’s burst temp not freeze temp. If there was no need they wouldn’t make it.
Still, never gonna need it on earth unless you are storing your engine in liquid nitrogen.

Reactions: KJM

ahicks

Captain
Still, never gonna need it on earth unless you are storing your engine in liquid nitrogen.
If you've been watching for a while, you'll occasionally see folks right here that winterized using conventional RV antifreeze that have cracked blocks. Usually all upset at the marina who did the work. I've personally seen damaged RV water systems (that I had to repair) that were left filled with anti freeze and stored in the far north. Point being, it can and does happen. That's why this more concentrated RV anti freeze became available. If you're running that you should be safe, like you say, with anything that can happen on the 3rd rock....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The AF above is for environments that reach -100.
The -100 (burst rating) stuff is liquid to -55 or so
normal antifreeze used as an engine coolant mixed 50/50 usually won't start to freeze till -34*.
so the -100 is more than adequate anywhere in the lower 48 and most of Canada

hugh g

Petty Officer 1st Class
"Wind chill" is a "feels like" number based on the rate that
heat is dissipated .
Inanimate objects don't feel.
Once an object reaches the actual temperature, wind, or wind chill no longer affects it. It can only get as cold as the actual temperature of the air.
All I know is that I winterized my engine all those years using AF & never had a problem.

ahicks

Captain
All I know is that I winterized my engine all those years using AF & never had a problem.
Nobody trying to take that away from you. The point is you need to plan for how cold it gets where your boat is going to be stored, with an added safety factor, and use the CORRECT RV anti freeze that leaves you with some sort of safety factor. CLEARLY there's a difference in the protection required in the far northern states and those located in more temperate areas. That's it. Nothing complicated.

hugh g

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nobody trying to take that away from you. The point is you need to plan for how cold it gets where your boat is going to be stored, with an added safety factor, and use the CORRECT RV anti freeze that leaves you with some sort of safety factor. CLEARLY there's a difference in the protection required in the far northern states and those located in more temperate areas. That's it. Nothing complicated.
Agreed. But I'm not too sure about the RV antifreeze, I never used it just the automotive.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The problem with using automotive antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is it’s toxic. Unless you drain and recycle it each spring you’re dumping toxic Af all over when you start up in spring. I use either Sierra PG antifreeze or -100 marine AF.