Anode Bolts Mercruiser Alpha One Gen One 3.0

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm redoing my transom.

I have the 2 new Anodes for my outside Gimbal mount, (the dome bullet style) but I need those Anode bolts, they seem way too overly priced, is there any other bolts I can use. Has anyone here used anything different other than the Merc Anode bolts. I can't stomach spending around $80 for 2 bolts. If so can you give me the size etc. Thanks

Fun Times

Staff member
Do you or the better half do Ebay stuff? Try running the original merc part number 55989A8 through Ebay as it seems you "can" find some of them at a lower cost vs checking the new number 97-8M0030655.

The ones for $42.50 say afatermarket but i wouldn't trust the material used as that could cause other issues too and that had been known to be a heated debate here in years past.

Bondo

Staff member
I'm redoing my transom.

I have the 2 new Anodes for my outside Gimbal mount, (the dome bullet style) but I need those Anode bolts, they seem way too overly priced, is there any other bolts I can use. Has anyone here used anything different other than the Merc Anode bolts. I can't stomach spending around $80 for 2 bolts. If so can you give me the size etc. Thanks
Ayuh,..... Those "bolts" are aluminum double ended studs, which I doubt can be changes with the motor in place,.....
They go through the transom, 'n inner transom plate,....

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do you or the better half do Ebay stuff? Try running the original merc part number 55989A8 through Ebay as it seems you "can" find some of them at a lower cost vs checking the new number 97-8M0030655.

The ones for $42.50 say afatermarket but i wouldn't trust the material used as that could cause other issues too and that had been known to be a heated debate here in years past.

Thank you kindly. Much better than $80.

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used to put the egg-shaped zinc anodes on the trim rods. I ran ground wires to the mounting bolts of the trim rams.
Interesting, can you show a picture of how you did it or maybe there's a photo online, I'd like to try that perhaps.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Easy stuff. Trim the outdrive down all the way. Measure the diameter of the stainless steel trim rods and buy 2 egg shaped anodes with the correct diameter and install them. Get some heavy (12ga or so) stranded copper wire (insulated is best) and crimp an eye on one end and strip an inch or two on the other end. Put the eye under the mounting screw of the anode. Loosen the trim cylinder mounting nut and put the stripped end of the wire under the nut and tighten.

Anodes need to be grounded to work. The PTT cylinders are mounted in rubber, hence the copper wire. It is possible that the hydraulic hoses and SS washers on the mounting nuts also ground the PTT cylinders, however, I used the wire to make sure of a good ground.

MerCruiser also makes an anode that screws onto the end of the propshaft.

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
Easy stuff. Trim the outdrive down all the way. Measure the diameter of the stainless steel trim rods and buy 2 egg shaped anodes with the correct diameter and install them. Get some heavy (12ga or so) stranded copper wire (insulated is best) and crimp an eye on one end and strip an inch or two on the other end. Put the eye under the mounting screw of the anode. Loosen the trim cylinder mounting nut and put the stripped end of the wire under the nut and tighten.

Anodes need to be grounded to work. The PTT cylinders are mounted in rubber, hence the copper wire. It is possible that the hydraulic hoses and SS washers on the mounting nuts also ground the PTT cylinders, however, I used the wire to make sure of a good ground.

MerCruiser also makes an anode that screws onto the end of the propshaft.

Thanks, Is there any way you can make a diagram of it on paper etc, and take a snapshot of it and upload the picture.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I no longer have the boat. Why not measure the trim rod diameter and pop over to a marine store and see what kind of anodes they have. There are lots of options for a creative mind. Just make sure the anodes are grounded somehow.

MerCruiser used to install horseshoe-shaped anodes on the trim cylinder ends. I found those to be too expensive and the bolt holes were corroded on my outdrive. Hence, I used the egg shaped anodes but other shapes will work as well.

Your trim cylinders are held on by 3/8" bolts/nuts if I remember correctly. Maybe there are anodes that screw onto those bolt ends. That would be real easy.