. . . and I Thought Hi-tech Boat Engines Were Bad . . .

matt167

Captain
I had a ‘65 Rambler American that had vac wipers. But they were boosted off the fuel pump so they actually worked just like electric. 50 Plymouth was dangerous in the rain because the wipers didn’t work up hill. I didn’t keep that car long even though I probably should have kept it

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
These three work just fine for me and can be rebuilt over and over again, unlike electronic mystery boxes and $1000 fuel pumps

Attachments

• Prestolite.jpg
    Prestolite.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Q-Jet rebuild small.jpg
    Q-Jet rebuild small.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Sierra fuel pump for 4.3.jpg
    Sierra fuel pump for 4.3.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 4

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a few old Chev pickemups had vac wipers. you would have to let the clutch out and be going down hill to get enough vacuum to drive them, then hope you had enough momentum you didnt have to stand on the throttle going up the hill. soon after, electric conversion and rain-x

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are many features on modern cars.---Nice when they work.-----But being able to repair these cars at home is not one of the features.-----Did you read about the TESLA that required $14,000 in suspension repairs after less than 1 week.----Warranty was refused as it was deemed " previous damage " was the cause.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Look at the folks comming back from there cruise and found their autos left in the parking lot were flooded over and being some salt water, a number of EV's batteries caught fire !! So far, more battery fires from EV's than we had fires from gas tank fires on the old Ford Pinto's.....those were taken off the market as being unsafe !!! What about EV's. ????

stresspoint

Ensign
To be fair, it's better than many boat installs, "step 1, remove engine"
on my Caprice changing starter >> step one , drop steering rack > step 2 remove exhaust manifold > step 3 change body to pretzel shapes > step 4 become temporary ambidextrous.
step 5 ,vowel to pay shop to do it next time.
repeat process in reverse to install new starter!.
lets not get started on removing heads or engine from the car.