. . . and I Thought Hi-tech Boat Engines Were Bad . . .

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Not a fan of dual mass flywheels. in theory, it makes sense. in practice, they rattle, cant be refinished and fail often. Im 42k on a new dual mass flywheel & clutch on the whip and its already slipping.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Not a fan of dual mass flywheels. in theory, it makes sense. in practice, they rattle, cant be refinished and fail often. Im 42k on a new dual mass flywheel & clutch on the whip and its already slipping.
Wow. My '02 330 had 235k on the original clutch when sold, truck was replaced at 215k

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Wow. My '02 330 had 235k on the original clutch when sold, truck was replaced at 215k
my VW Jetta with the VR6 had the original clutch when I sold it with 240K of well-beaten auto-crossed miles.

the daily is the second dual mass flywheel car I have owned. and I will be looking for an aftermarket flywheel and multi-disc clutch.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
OK, who thinks that step 1 of a starter R&R should be removed the fender liner and work blindly?

Attachments

• PXL_20231030_224625860.jpg
    PXL_20231030_224625860.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11

FarmYard

Recruit

Sonds like its time for a lenco transmission. LOL

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Ted, found a vehicle experience worse than your BMW

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The lastest goofy trend
no engine oil dipsticks
you read the level on your info screen
What convinced me that modern designers lost their mind was watching the procedure to check the auto trans level on a ZF 850HP auto trans (used on many German cars, many Chrysler products and Land Rovers).
They turned a simple task into a project. BTW, instead of standing next to the vehicle and pulling a dipstick (oh how quaint and crude!!) you get to put the vehicle up on 4 jack stands and put your hand right next to a nice hot cat converter. Idiots.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
in theory the Force L Drive made sense. I, along with many others, prove that theory incorrect.

aspeck

Staff member
Ted, found a vehicle experience worse than your BMW

OUCH!

Oh, and to replace the HEADLAMP on my wife's Acadia you are to start by removing the wheel and the inter-fender well. Then work blindly. The manuals give you 4 hours to change a headlamp! STUPID!

airshot

Rear Admiral
On my 2015 Jeep Cherokee, you can't check the trans fluid. Dealer only, recomended every 100k miles, the cost was 140 bucks to check the trans fluid !! No dipstick, requires a special tool to read the fluid condition and level.... Progress at it finest. !!

alldodge

Staff member
On my 2015 Jeep Cherokee, you can't check the trans fluid. Dealer only, recomended every 100k miles, the cost was 140 bucks to check the trans fluid !! No dipstick, requires a special tool to read the fluid condition and level.... Progress at it finest. !!

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep....watched the dealer do that...not typically something a home mechanic wants to tackle. Wait until you see the price of that tool !! As of three years back was a dealer only item. You need looong arms and willing to stick it in a 125 degree engine bay...engineering at its finest !!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
545rfe extracting fluid from pan with vacuum pump.jpg
the old way is better.....you can suck out most of the oil in the trans pan before removing it thereby avoiding a big mess.
Next time it's getting a pan with a drain plug
Common sense is not so common....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Audi removed the dipstick on recent motors opting for a sensor and dealer only service. good thing the motor was designed earlier. just removed the stupid plug and installed a dipstick.

the @#$%@#$% drain plug is a one-time-use deal and the plastic oil pan is cheesy. however the aftermarket has the tool and plugs.

with todays automotive engineers, common sense is no longer common.

flashback

Captain
At least the windshield wipers worked better when they switched from vacuum to electric! LOL